News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New tech, old style:

Started by Netdewt, March 09, 2010, 12:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

I have loved this company's design for a while. They make computer/mobile handsets that have a classic look. They don't appear to be cheap junk either. They used to make them all in Bluetooth, but now they are all wired.

http://www.hulger.com/

jeremylivin

Jeremy Livingston

Netdewt

What would be the best handset to do this with? I don't want to wreck anything that would be a shame to wreck. i wouldn't do the bluetooth one, just the wire. Maybe a modular G?

HarrySmith

I made one with a modular G type handset. That way all I had to ruin was a cheap modular line cord!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: Netdewt on June 09, 2010, 08:54:20 AM
What would be the best handset to do this with? I don't want to wreck anything that would be a shame to wreck. i wouldn't do the bluetooth one, just the wire. Maybe a modular G?

I would want a chromed up AE 40 type handset!

Terry

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

I am a little puzzled as to why they included a picture of a bare-chested guy in his underwear with a pained expression.  Usually ads for a product have pictures of (fully clothed) people who look happy to be using the product.  Doesn't exactly warm me to the product.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

gpo706

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Netdewt

I made it! Grabbed a beat-up ITT 500 on C-list. I like it a lot. It works perfectly. Now I just need a 554 metal hook made to clip on my belt! :)

It's not modular, but the ITT's just aren't very authentic to me, so I didn't care about cutting it up. I've got some spare 500 parts now anyways.

McHeath

Very cool!  I'd like to see some pics of the actual connections you made.  How does it work?

Netdewt

Sorry, I didn't take pictures of the plug, and it's a big pain to take it apart again. The wires were very jammed in there. I actually had to do it twice because I didn't make the wires short enough the first time. It worked but you could see the colored wires out the back of the plug.

I followed this article exactly, but I can summarize here. http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/205/47/
The plug I got is just a Neutrik 3.5mm I got at an electronics store by my house. $0.88.

At the bottom I have attached a map of how a plug is laid out, in general. In the case of the Neutrik, the solder points were slightly different than the example, but you can tell by looking at what goes to where. I have a map of that too. On the 500, RED is mic, WHITE is speaker (doesn't matter which), then ground the BLACK and other WHITE.

Then all you do is plug it into you phone, and it works just like any other wired headset. I have a Blackberry, so it's got a 3.5mm plug on it. You have to check your cell phone to see if it has that or something else.

bellsystemproperty

If you're going to make an old cell phone, then you might as well make the entire phone a rotary phone. If you take the Xlink, a device that uses Bluetooth to connect to a cell phone, you can put batteries to power it. Then you plug in your 500 or whatever you want to use and it will work just like it is connected to a landline, except it goes via the cell phone. Just put the Xlink in a little case with those batteries and cell phone, then you have a "luggable" cell phone.

BTW, you only need the Xlink BT. The BTTN is the more expensive model that does more than what you need it to do.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=xlink+bt&_sacat=0&_odkw=xlink&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8929 The Sparkfun one does the same thing, but is more expensive. Also I have heard the call quality is not that great. I don't like Bluetooth that much to begin with, but the uniqueness factor of a rotary cell phone makes it worth it.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

Netdewt

Quote from: bellsystemproperty on June 22, 2010, 06:50:49 PM
If you're going to make an old cell phone, then you might as well make the entire phone a rotary phone.

Cool, but for me the handset is enough. I don't like bluetooth headsets and I wanted to get away from putting my phone to my ear. There is just too much talk about cell phones and possible links to brain cancer. The G handset is so much more comfortable than the cell phone itself.

bellsystemproperty

I agree. The G handset is a perfect design and very comfortable.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)