"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is a 202 worth

Started by Kenny C, March 14, 2010, 05:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kidphone on March 20, 2010, 08:14:15 AM
There were definitely wood ringer boxes for Both WE and AE that were not magneto ringers. In the 30s American Electric, who later turned into Automatic Electric had this beauty with there 1A. Also the WE ringer pictured with dates on the side was from the 20s....Doug

Hi Doug:

Your AE1a is actually an AE7. An AE1 has a much thinner base area without a coil in it and no provision for a dial. An AE1a is similar to the AE1 except it has providion for a dial or a dial blank.

Terry Biddlecombe

stub

Hi, 
      The type 7 has a D-281901-A  induction coil (central battery) .
     Or, it could be a type 19 (local battery) if it has a D-281569-A induction coil.
                                                                                                         stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

rp2813

Bill, thanks for the information on the F1 transmitter and handset timeline.  It confirms that the transmitter's launch pre-dated the handset, but it was a surprise to find out that the F1 transmitter was first used as a retrofit for the "bullet" transmitter on the E1's.  I had that sequence backwards. 
Ralph

bingster

It's always annoyed me that they named the new transmitter cartridge "F1" even though they knew there would be a next-generation handset coming along, and that it would no doubt also be called "F1."  It would have made more sense for successive generations to be called T1, T2, etc., handset mountings (bases) to be called M1, M2, etc., handsets to be called H1, H2, etc., receiver units R1, R2, etc., and so on for all sequentially named parts.
= DARRIN =

rp2813

Bingster, clearly you have not ever worked for The Phone Company.  You're forgetting the old saying about the plumber's house having the leaky pipes.  Take it from someone who's been there.  I'm sure Bwanna would concur.
Ralph

Phonesrfun

Yes, Bingster, your idea makes too much sense. 
-Bill G

Ampico66

The phone is worth your $100.  At least you can buy local without having to spend another $25 shipping it.  Oh I have some great memories about what I bought with birthday money... my Victrola X at age 18 and my Western Electric 15AL candlestick, working with original subset, at age 19.  Some ATCA member had working candlesticks for sale in Ohio.  I was so in love with it that I took it to college. 

Kenny C

i bought it today and the dial is a kellogg not a AE
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

Well here it is 7 months,2 new cords and a handset later, I used a 302 as the subset
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

also added a dial and i just noticed that bit of paint that messed up  >:(
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

DARK FATHER

That is a beauty!  I do not know what these 202s are worth, but I paid $45 for this one.  Then another $10 for the mini network and $3.50 for the new element and dial screw. I ALMOST bought a dial-less 202 with a subset in an antique store out of desperation that was around $40-$50 shortly before finding this one on Ebay.  I am glad I waited because a dial would have set me back even more! 

Doug Rose

Kenny....really nice job on this. Great dial card. You do nice work!....Doug
Kidphone

KeithB

It really looks GREAT, Kenny.  Good job!!

Kenny C

Quote from: Kidphone on October 15, 2010, 08:07:54 AM
Kenny....really nice job on this. Great dial card. You do nice work!....Doug

Thanks especialy coming from you.

Quote from: KeithB on October 15, 2010, 10:51:05 AM
It really looks GREAT, Kenny.  Good job!!

Thank you I need to fix that paint spot
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 15, 2010, 12:00:02 AM
Well here it is 7 months,2 new cords and a handset later, I used a 302 as the subset

Looks great, but what happened to the E1 handset?  No good?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e