"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Outdoor Payphone Project

Started by Hill Haven Telephone Company, April 12, 2020, 04:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Quote from: phr34k5h0w on April 20, 2020, 07:57:49 AM
Neighbors love the payphone,  and the neighbors kids have been playing with it,  So Lenny is getting a workout on my system. 

Really pleased for you. Well done.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Hill Haven Telephone Company

Well sad news guys.  Looks like ill be taking the phone and pedestal down.   Someone tried to break into the coin vault and cut the wires almost thru the phone from car light. 

Scrappers or methheads probably. 

Sucks.  There goes a ton of money down the drain. 

Key2871

Oh crap, some people have no respect for someone else's property.
KEN

countryman

Quote from: phr34k5h0w on April 20, 2020, 02:22:49 PM
Well sad news guys.  Looks like ill be taking the phone and pedestal down.   Someone tried to break into the coin vault and cut the wires almost thru the phone from car light. 

Scrappers or methheads probably. 

Sucks.  There goes a ton of money down the drain.

I feel your pain. They found it really quick  :'(

oldguy

I watched the process & was thrilled with the outcome. Was sad that people are jerks.
Gary

FABphones

Quote from: phr34k5h0w on April 20, 2020, 02:22:49 PM
Well sad news guys.  Looks like ill be taking the phone and pedestal down.   Someone tried to break into the coin vault and cut the wires almost thru the phone from car light....

Shame you didn't get your cctv up in time to watch over it. Maybe it needed a sign in there saying 'No Coins Accepted/Coin Vault Empty' to deter vandals.

As the phone is already out there, is it worth a trial run with the cctv installed (and a sign for that in there too), then leaving it insitu without the vault door, no coin box?

Pourme

Good ideas, I hate to see all that effort go to waste.

Looking closely, it's hard to see any physical marks around the vault door. How did they gain entry to the vault?

Such a nice looking install too.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

RB

Yeah, that is unfortunate.
After such a nice install.
Do you have a shot gun???

david@london

phr34k5h0w,

what a shame, it looked so great. After all your work.
Could you perhaps re-install it at the back of your place, out of view of the road?

HarrySmith

That really sucks! I would agree maybe worth one more try after all the work you put in? A sign saying no coins needed on the phone where the instruction card would go and another stating no money in phone and you are on video might help.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Hill Haven Telephone Company

Well we got another phone to put out there,  This old Jail phone,  no coin slot and it looks like a payphone,  we are also ordering some wifi trail cameras from amazon to put up. 

HarrySmith

Cool! That looks like a better choice for out there. I would still recommend signs though.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Well it's another start, but I agree put up cameras and signs to let them know, no money inside and smile your being recorded by cctv.
KEN

FABphones

Quote from: phr34k5h0w on April 21, 2020, 09:51:58 AM
...we are also ordering some wifi trail cameras from amazon to put up.

Trail cameras are easy to steal so caution where you place them. If you want them in use at night take a look at the black LED version, the low glow will help make them less easy to spot. They also can eat through batteries and are almost certain to be flat just when you need to view an incident. Solar panels can be bought to charge them, but then their location becomes more visible.

If it were me I would use cameras which attach to the property and use their zoom facility. I would put at least two up. My cameras here run well into double figures and you would be surprised just how many it takes to properly 'follow'.

Key2871

Where i used to work, they used areal telephone conductors as camera feeds to a cctv screen at the front desk. So if you have a spare pair in your cable, that might work for you.
KEN