News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

An Unusual AE 50 Factory set up

Started by Gary Z, June 07, 2020, 10:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Z

I found a few of these from the repair man that removed them from service. At first I thought it was modified after it was made, but it looks like this IS the way it came from the factory based on the inside diagram. I have never seen this before on one of these model phones. I compared a regular AE 50 plunger on the left and the one that comes with this phone on the right. When you lift the receiver, the plunger stops half way up and there is still no dial tone. Then you move the flat lever to the right and the plunger goes up fully to get the dial tone. The diagram refers to using this in noisy locations. I don't know what the reason for this device would be for...is it some type of party line aid or does it reduce background noise? Any questions OR answers will be appreciated.

rdelius

Party line hooklatch. Lift handset to see if line is busy ,lever unlocks the plunger so you can talk or dial. Some SC 1243 sets had a similar setup.

Gary Z

So if the line is busy can you still hear the other 2 parties talking? Then you can hang up and not interrupt or just listen in?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Roody on June 07, 2020, 11:22:31 PM
So if the line is busy can you still hear the other 2 parties talking? Then you can hang up and not interrupt or just listen in?

Correct.

Hook latches were fairly common on auto party lines. Without one, if you lifted your handset while someone was dialling, they would have to start again after you replaced your handset.

Jack

Gary Z

I never thought about that if someone was dialing it would interrupt the dial.

I have never come across one of these in all the years I've been collecting. I guess I don't get out much.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Roody on June 07, 2020, 11:40:54 PM
I never thought about that if someone was dialing it would interrupt the dial.

I have never come across one of these in all the years I've been collecting. I guess I don't get out much.

Once you know what to look for, you'll find more of them.

Automatic Electric had them on the old black residence set (1911) up to the model 80 - perhaps later, I don't usually look at those.

Jack