News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How things are listed on E-Bay

Started by MMikeJBenN27, August 16, 2020, 08:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMikeJBenN27

Has anybody who uses E-Bay a lot noticed that more and more sellers think that all phones are "Western Electric", even if it says "Automatic Electric" on it?  Do you think this means that more and younger people are joining the hobby?

Mike

Key2871

It's my opinion Western Electric takes presidence because they want to sell there phones, they dontcare how it's listed, they just want to get the biggest bang they can.
KEN

MMikeJBenN27

You don't think that some just don't know?

Desert Phone Guy

I have noticed that as well in some of the current listings... If the phone has a Western Electric transmitter cap, or a marked receiver cap, the seller, I believe, uses that information to label the phone Western Electric, whether the complete phone is Western Electric not.

And Western Electric is probably the most dominant name to most of the general public.

One opinion from the 109 Degree Desert in Arizona....

Steve

MMikeJBenN27

I am talking about phones that are in no way WE phones, including European phones.  They even think those are WE.

Key2871

Yea I have noticed that even cordless phone are being listed as Western Electric, and yes a lot of these are  the fact that the seller doesn't know AE at from a WE.
But I remember when listing on E bay that if I was in the telephone category Western as the biggest and first that came up. And I would have to change the listing to ITT or what ever the phone was.

Primarily I listed Western sets, but that is the most popular listing. And if someone doesn't change the header on their listing then it just posts as WE.
KEN

rdelius

I think ebay calls this key word spamming and is discouraged. Another example are American Flyer trains with Lionel in the listing. more bogus results to look through.

Jim Stettler

I sometimes see non WE phones listed as "Not Western Electri".
This is a sneaky way to  bring  them up on a Western Electric search search.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.