News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Inside of 425 Network

Started by stosh, November 27, 2020, 10:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stosh

I'm really curious what the inside of a 425 network looks like. Can't find a pic anywhere. Does anyone have a picture of one opened up? I don't want to ruin one just to see. ;D

Jim Stettler

Here is a photo of a clear network.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1928.msg243693

Basically they are like the mini-networks that clip into a holder mounted to the base of the phone.
The main difference is they are packed in a can of  filled with a dielectric gel. It is smelly gooey gunk.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote from the below thread:

"Don't be surprised to find that the network has been potted in a very sticky, odious paste that has the texture of hot chewing gum and the odor of unwashed shirts. This material - alleged to be manufactured according to a secret formula - will not wash off with soap and water. The phone company has a solvent for it, but because one of the secret ingredients is said to be beeswax, ordinary beeswax solvents such as gum turpentine, mineral turpentine (paint thinner or white spirit) and kerosene will work."

So, it sounds like it's non-toxic, but this doesn't say for sure.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3715.msg49310
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second photo shows an ITT mini network
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

The pictures aren't that great but they were taken with 2010 technology.

Below images from this topic:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3017.0

stosh

Fantastic! Thanks everyone...Not quite what I thought it might look like, but now I can put the pliers and screwdriver away! ;) 8)

Jack Ryan

Quote from: TelePlay on November 27, 2020, 11:59:32 PM
The pictures aren't that great but they were taken with 2010 technology.

I don't think those pictures can be blamed on technology. Shame really - a look inside would be interesting.

Jack

stosh

I'm assuming that the network pictured is now useless because the goop is now gone? As long as they are sealed in the goop, they'll probably work forever.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: stosh on November 28, 2020, 12:50:59 AM
I'm assuming that the network pictured is now useless because the goop is now gone? As long as they are sealed in the goop, they'll probably work forever.
The network  probably works fine. The goop isn't really needed.

The goop  helps protect the network from shock and water damage.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dsk

This is an interesting project, and it shows how difficult it will be to repair a defect network, and how important that will be to have those in stock if you throw away the rest of a smashed phone, the network will probably still be OK if the phone is mechanistically damaged e.g. by an postal accident or equal.

dsk

HarrySmith

WOW! I can't believe that was 10 years ago. I still have that network packed away somewhere with my "Liquid Phone".
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

I took one apart years ago, and the goop inside was really sticky and yes it smelled and surrounded with that stuff.
I too was surprised at the electronic components inside, so I dont recamend tearing into one, because that grease is hooable to get off your fingers, and the smell stays a while.
KEN

stosh

Looks like the Stromberg-Carlson network has a lot  more little parts. It's actually what I thought the WE would look like.