News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 2500D

Started by FABphones, November 29, 2020, 10:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Northern Electric and Manufacturing Company Limited was incorporated on December 7, 1895...

...In March 1976, the company name was changed to Northern Telecom Limited.

So this 1976 NE2500D may well have been one of the last to be produced prior to the name change.

Perhaps the line employees had other things on their minds when this phone slipped through manufacture with its reversed logo.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Now I would have thought that marking would have been in the mold or part of the mold, it self.
But the way it looks, it may have been an insert in the mold? Either that or someone who made the mold wasn't having their work checked for where that was and placement. 
KEN

FABphones

Not had a chance to tidy this up yet. Couple more photos meantime.

Can't track down any other Northern Electric with a reverse logo. It's looking like this one came off the production line by accident. Don't like to use the word 'rare' but finding another one of these will be difficult.

:)

Quote from: FABphones on December 19, 2020, 02:37:05 PM
Not had a chance to tidy this up yet. Couple more photos meantime.

Can't track down any other Northern Electric with a reverse logo. It's looking like this one came off the production line by accident. Don't like to use the word 'rare' but finding another one of these will be difficult.

:)

It was likely taken home by an employee, Northern's quality control department would never have let that go.
So I'm on the side the it's a scarce and in very small quantities.

Awesome find!

FABphones

Quote from: Duffy on December 19, 2020, 04:30:58 PM
It was likely taken home by an employee, Northern's quality control department would never have let that go.
...I'm on the side the it's a scarce and in very small quantities.

Awesome find!

Thanks Duffy. That means a lot coming from you as I know Northern Electric is a favourite of yours.  :D

I wonder how many caretakers this has had during its 44 years, who never even noticed it was different. Might even just be whoever sneaked  :-X  it out of the factory, and 'us'...

FABphones

Quote from: ..... on December 19, 2020, 04:30:58 PMNorthern's quality control department would never have let that go...

Good to have something a little unusual in the collection.  :)

Here it is on display.

HowardPgh

I think that upside down/reversed logo would be the fault of the people who molded the plastic cases. I think more than one could have left the factory before someone caught it.
Howard