News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

airial drop fiber

Started by Babybearjs, December 19, 2020, 04:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

does anyone know if they do arial drop fiber service? (strung lines) I'm just curious about it because for older areas the have all strung copper lines, that would be the answer to faster phone services...
John

SUnset2

I have overhead Fiber to the Home from Century Link.  My phone service is now multiplexed over the fiber rather than coming over the copper pair next to it on the pole.

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 19, 2020, 04:37:39 PM
does anyone know if they do arial drop fiber service? (strung lines) I'm just curious about it because for older areas the have all strung copper lines, that would be the answer to faster phone services...
Here in Eugene Oregon as of 2020 you can only get fiber in a special downtown area, its a 'micro fiber' run by the local power company thru existing undergound power 'ducts'.
In any other area commercial customers can pay Century link or Comcast $$$ to get fiber if they are near a fiber trunk (usually along rail lines) and that's a mix of overhead and underground.
There seems to be a push in rural parts of this state to move lines underground.  While stopped in the construction,  I have been watching the same crew directional boring along the highway from here to the coast, they must have buried 50 miles of lines this year.
They have an orange and a blue tube that is stubbed up at phone pedestals, not sure what they are for.
I think its a combined utility effort to bury all power lines to reduce sparking and wildfires.