Either of these would be right.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Whitcrane76 on January 03, 2021, 11:00:31 AM
the one on the right is really RIGHT!!! Tough find with the chimes...Doug
Kidphone

RB

dsk

I love those chimes, but you still need an induction coil.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Whitcrane76 on January 03, 2021, 11:00:31 AM

As Dsk indicated, the 584-DE is just a bell, you would still need network components.

It matters to an extent. The "correct" WE subset would provide a better match to the line than another manufacturer's subset.

If you use a 5xx (and similar) series WE subset, you will make a sidetone telephone - a 102.

If you use a 6xx (and similar) series WE subset, you will make a anti-sidetone telephone - a 202.

Either of those is "correct".

Jack

dsk

My D1 was from Associted Telephone co. and did have an AE dial but they described on the diagram to use a WE subset.Since I do not have that , I made several to test out whats working OK

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16538.msg171073#msg171073
After testing different solutions, I went back to the first solution that is a pretty close to Kellogg's triad circuit. The induction coil is from an old German phone. A ringer from a Norwegian phone, and a random box.

dsk

SunriseEarth

I just picked up a 684A on eBay for a reasonable price.   I found a D1 on Goodwill's site a while back for cheap, but it, of course, did not have a subset.   To test it out, I wired it up to the remains of a Celebrity Design Line phone whose case met an unfortunate ending.   That actually didn't work out too terribly, aside from getting a lot of bell tinkle when the ringer was on the loudest setting.   Ultimately, I wanted something more pleasant sounding than that P1A ringer, so that wasn't a permanent solution. 

Anyway, I really like the gongs on the 684A.  But to really get it pleasant sounding, I adjusted things to where it isn't very loud.   Is that just how those ringers are?  I feel like the ringers on any of my 500 or 2500 phones are loud enough to wake the dead!
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

dsk

The subset should be great.

A bias spring like this may solve the tinkle:

Or circuit like this in series with the ringer:https://www.epanorama.net/circuits/tele_privacy.html

dsk