News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is This an Insult?

Started by LarryInMichigan, April 12, 2010, 08:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Check out: http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/clt/1686994480.html( dead link 03-09-21 )
Someone needs to give this person some sensitivity training.  We have a forum member somewhere in that neighborhood.

Larry

Doug Rose

Nah....they have not seen the light. Pity them.....Doug
Kidphone

bwanna

i hope the gag will not be turning the phone into a lamp  :o
donna

JorgeAmely

Maybe this is his/her way of finding phones for a collection. You just never know how low people will go for a rotary phone.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

Craig T

Sounds like the "gag" is on the person selling that "crazy" colored 302 for $5  :P

Greg G.

I didn't take it as insulting, just naive about collectible items.  The uninformed either think the artifact, be it a phone or something else, will get them rich, or they think it's worthless.

Like the gal I bought some old 78 rpms from the other day.  It was a misc collection, in average condition.  I picked out a couple dozen and I could tell from her expression that she was shocked when I offered her 10 cents per record.  I'm not into "screwing" people or trying to rip them off, so I informed her that thrift stores sell them for $1 each, and the Goodwill outlet stores sell them for 10 cents each, so that's the point I start with.  She asked for $5 for the bunch, which I agreed to.  Even at that, 2/3 of them end up in my reject pile only because I don't like them, and I have a very eclectic taste in music.

However, I do like the idea of a "Red Green" rotary phone, that was one of my favorite shows!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

I love the Red Green show as well.  It's sad that some people are so ignorant about something that, odds are, was part of their own childhood. 
- Tom

Dennis Markham

I think someone told me once about a similar ad.  It may have been CraigT that saw such an ad but in another location.  Perhaps as Jorge suggested, it is an effort to get a rotary phone cheap.

Kenny C

Quote from: bwanna on April 12, 2010, 09:36:21 AM
i hope the gag will not be turning the phone into a lamp  :o
or a planter
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Now, some of us have recently bragged about some of the $5 phones and the freebies we have gotten over the years.  I don't think it is insulting to ask for one for $5.00......Isn't that what we do every time we go to an antique store...."Will you take $5.00?"

Cheers,
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Bill,

The insulting part wasn't the $5.  It was the idea that a dial phone would make a good gag gift.

Larry

Phonesrfun

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 12, 2010, 09:47:55 PM
Bill,

The insulting part wasn't the $5.  It was the idea that a dial phone would make a good gag gift.

Larry

OK, I'm a little slow sometimes....  :)

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Did I hear someone say Rotary phones cheap.....Where....?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 13, 2010, 12:16:48 AM
Did I hear someone say Rotary phones cheap.....Where....?
D/P

Your place.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

OK, I'm a little slow sometimes....  :)

[/quote]

don't feel bad, bill. i am too.....& i'm blonde!  ;) :o ::)
donna