News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mounting Kellogg Wooden Phone to Masonry Wall?

Started by evilw, June 12, 2021, 06:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilw

Hello All,
I recently acquired a Kellogg wall phone that my Dad had restored back in the 60s. I want to mount it to my wall which is masonry. I made a template, drilled holes and inserted plastic anchors, but stopped when I lifted this beast. I even read the 1918 guide on mounting these phones to masonry, but still thought that I should ask here for advice. (I will also add that living in SoCal has the ever present threat of earthquakes).
What have others done to securely mount these heavy phones?
Thanks,
-WM

evilw

Ah, what the heck. I went for it!
Wish the Edison Cylinder player luck.
-WM

countryman

The plastic anchors and bolts look reasonably sized. When they sit in solid masonry (and not only crumbly mortar) Mr. Edison will be fine with it.

evilw

Thanks Countryman!
The 1918 Mounting Instructions show only mounting two diagonal screws and just having "dummies" in the other two. I am nervous with 4. lol

FABphones

Nice display.

Our walls here can be difficult to get a good fix into. For wall phones the best way for us is to use a back board. As it is not vintage we use as many heavy duty fixings as we think it needs for the weight it will carry. The phones are then securely screwed onto that.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

nice job.....is it missing a shelf? There should be holes if it is. It would look like this....Doug
Kidphone

evilw

Quote from: FABphones on June 13, 2021, 04:37:57 AM
Nice display.

Our walls here can be difficult to get a good fix into. For wall phones the best way for us is to use a back board. As it is not vintage we use as many heavy duty fixings as we think it needs for the weight it will carry. The phones are then securely screwed onto that.

Good Idea! I had thought about that as well. Would you mind sending me a photo of one of your installs?
-WM

evilw

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 13, 2021, 08:13:00 AM
nice job.....is it missing a shelf? There should be holes if it is. It would look like this....Doug

Thanks Doug,
I do have some shelves in my parts stash, but decided to leave this one as my dad had restored it back in the 60s.
-WM

Doug Rose

Kidphone

HarrySmith

I would recommend using the same set up that many pay phone collectors use. It is on here somewhere but I could not locate it with a quick search. Basically just cut a piece of wood, one by works, at a 45 degree angle. Attach one piece securely to the wall and the other piece to the back of the phone. Slip it on and you are done!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

evilw

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 14, 2021, 08:12:42 AM
I would recommend using the same set up that many pay phone collectors use. It is on here somewhere but I could not locate it with a quick search. Basically just cut a piece of wood, one by works, at a 45 degree angle. Attach one piece securely to the wall and the other piece to the back of the phone. Slip it on and you are done!

Thank you Harry,
That method sounds very helpful too. I would love to see an example as I am only partially grasping the concept. Having all cement walls keeps the hammer drill and fresh masonry bits always ready.
-WM

HarrySmith

I searched again but could not find the posting on here. I know I saw it at one time. Basically mount a piece with the 45 degree cut on the back of the phone with the cut down. Mount the other piece with the cut up. Then it sits right in tight & strong.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

evilw

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 14, 2021, 12:57:15 PM
I searched again but could not find the posting on here. I know I saw it at one time. Basically mount a piece with the 45 degree cut on the back of the phone with the cut down. Mount the other piece with the cut up. Then it sits right in tight & strong.

Thank you!
ps: I also have a '37 302 like your profile pic. I bought a 201 a couple of years ago just to get the '37 seamless handset for it. lol
-WM

Argee

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 14, 2021, 12:57:15 PM

It's called a French Cleat

evilw

Quote from: Argee on June 14, 2021, 04:31:10 PM
It's called a French Cleat

Excellent! I just watched a few videos on the French Cleat and it makes sense. Now, I just need to determine how thick it should be to look good behind the phone and then get the motivation to dismount and lift the heavy beast again. lol
Thanks,
-WM