News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using a rotary phone in 2021

Started by mr_a500, August 21, 2021, 05:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_a500

I had to stop using rotary phones over a decade ago when my VOIP carrier decided to "upgrade" their system, removing support for pulse dialling. I tried mutliple workarounds, but eventually it became futile. (I'm in Canada with limited options - and the remaining options are absolute crap!)

Well, after having no phone whatsoever more than 10 years (and constantly questioning why communications had become so utterly retarded) I decided to try again. I discovered "Magicjack" and decided to give it a try. I had no hope... but I must admit I'm pleasantly surprised. Everything worked! I can't manually dial yet, but soon I'll try the Rotatone with it. I can still dial out with the "app" with no problem, even though I have an old OS. (and even that impresses me)

I'm wondering - how many people.. in 2021 still use rotary?

MMikeJBenN27

I still do!  And I REFUSE to quit, but I still have a regular phone line, not VOIP.  But some VOIP lines DO work with a rotary phone, but none of the ones with internet service do.

Mike

Key2871

Well to start, I'm glad that your back to using the old phones You really like. That's great.
As for magic jack, around here anyway ( northeast us)
It's not so hot. Never tried rotary sets on it, but in other ways it can be rather frustrating to use.
Often times when I've called in, I repeidly got the message the magic jack customer your trying to reach, is not available.
Only because the system seems to get inundated with traffic so it shuts some customers off.
They try to call out but they get a different message stating their call can not be completed at this time.

What if it were an emergency? And you can't dial out?
What then??
That's just what I've experienced first hand with magic yack. That's why I'm not a fan.
I'd rather try to get a PT converter or something using VOiP.
KEN

RB

I use an obi...
It is a google device, limited in function and distance, but has always accepted my rotary phones.
My primary desk phone is a 202, and has always worked for everything but 800 numbers, and no over seas calls.
Hope ya'll can find a good solution, and keep turnin your dials!!!
Regards :)

mr_a500

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on August 21, 2021, 06:30:17 PM
I still do!  And I REFUSE to quit, but I still have a regular phone line, not VOIP.  But some VOIP lines DO work with a rotary phone, but none of the ones with internet service do.

I wanted to have a regular phone line, but Bell Canada has become an absolute crap company - and after being ripped off for the 50th time, I explained to their incomprehensible India support person that I'll never use their services again. Unfortunately, Bell has a monopoly for home phone in my area. I think there might be one other VOIP service available, but it's at least 10-15 times the price of MagicJack and has the same limitations.

mr_a500

Quote from: Key2871 on August 21, 2021, 06:30:47 PM
Well to start, I'm glad that your back to using the old phones You really like. That's great.
As for magic jack, around here anyway ( northeast us)
It's not so hot. Never tried rotary sets on it, but in other ways it can be rather frustrating to use.
Often times when I've called in, I repeidly got the message the magic jack customer your trying to reach, is not available.
Only because the system seems to get inundated with traffic so it shuts some customers off.
They try to call out but they get a different message stating their call can not be completed at this time.

What if it were an emergency? And you can't dial out?
What then??
That's just what I've experienced first hand with magic yack. That's why I'm not a fan.
I'd rather try to get a PT converter or something using VOiP.

I haven't had any problems so far - in fact it has been surprisingly great, but I've only had it for a short time. I hope it doesn't start screwing up. I heard their technical support is terrible.

FABphones

We had issues with our landline provider and after months of no solution cancelled the contract. Instead we purchased a Panasonic and a couple of Cisco units. Via a normal cellphone phone SIM and for much less than our monthly landline fee we have as much Internet access as we can use plus our rotary phones, which are connected via the Panasonic.

With this system we have a 'main' (cellphone) house telephone number which will ring the house phones same as good old POTS, but also we can divert the 'main' line calls to our cellphones if we are out, or just let the house ansaphone take the call. Diverting the calls costs us no extra and the incoming caller pays for their call as they would usually.

This did cost the equivalent of a few hundred dollars to set up but it paid for itself quickly.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

MMikeJBenN27

To Mra 500.  Once they put Fibre in your area, they absolutely refuse to give you a regular copper line.  They are doing that here in my area too, but they are not taking our copper lines away if we already have them in place.  But you better not have it disconnected, for ANY reason, as they will not put it back.  They will force you to accept Fibre, which will be VOIP.  Probably the only way to change this would be for you to get the signature of everybody in your area who is opposed to this, but nowadays, that might be only a handful of people, which they will not pay any attention to.

Jack Aman

Just put an XLink between your in-house wiring and whatever VOIP you have.  The XLINK seamlessly translates rotary dials.  The experience of using the 7 old phones in my house is indistinguishable from POTS.  Calls coming in on our "landline" (actually WAVE Cable VOIP) ring with the standard North America ring.  Calls coming in on my cell ring with the British "ring-ring" pattern.  Calls on my wife's cell ring with a custom "long-short" ring.  It works VERY well and so simple.  Five of my phones ring, two are silenced.  The five that ring do so strongly even without the "extra ringing power" you can call for in the XLink firmware settings.  It works very well without a "landline" too making your cell service behave just like POTS when you are home.

mr_a500

I never heard of XLink, so I checked it out. It looks interesting and would allow me to connect all my rotary phones in the house like I did before - but a mobile phone is requred. I don't have a mobile phone.

I suppose I could get a cheap "dumbphone" to connect, but mobile reception in my area isn't that great.

Edit: Oh wait, I see you said to connect VOIP. As I said, VOIP service would cost 15 times what I'm paying for MagicJack. Also, I'd have to rewire my house to send internet to the basement to connect the XLink to the main house lines. (I don't use wireless ethernet.)

It's nice to see there are still a few options left for using rotary phones though.

Jack Aman

The XLink BTTN will work with cell phones but doesn't require them.  It will also connect seamlessly to cable modem, Magic Jack, whatever VOIP apparatus you may have.

Key2871

One thing I forgot to mention, they seem to time the call time. Your allowed 20 minutes though they don't tell you that. Then they pull your cord as it were.
As I said I wasn't a fan from the start as I've read and heard all stories on the magic jack system.

My wife will talk for long periods of time and she tried that on MJ, but she kept getting cur after 20 minutes.

In a way that was good to help remind her she's talking too long.  But she would get mad at the company and I told her I tried to tell her all the quarks I've heard about.

Some VOiP services were, are like that to help keep their cost down, they say it gives others a chance to get  in on the line. I don't really believe that, but what ever.

I think there are some good solutions to get away from expensive land service. I don't use the phones that much anymore sadly. But I get by with using mine with my intercom to my shop and that's about it these days.
I like the topic as it gives me a chance to read up on what others have done to get service in their home or business.
KEN

LM Ericsson

I don't use them anymore. The last phone I actually regularly used before I moved was one of those new Cortelco 2500 phones in Brown. Very reliable. It sits in the closet now as I only use my Samsung Galaxy.
Regards,
-Grayson

Nick in Manitou

Before a couple of recent moves, we used an XLink with our OOMA VOIP and were very pleased to be able to use our rotary phones with that system. We never had any issues and the cost of about $6 a month also made us happy.

I do intend to set it up again at our new place here in New Mexico when I get a chance. (It doesn't take very long...but at the moment there are other priorities on the To-Do list.)

Nick

mr_a500

I think I've found the mobile phone for me: