News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Only Good Use for a Crosley Knock Off Wood Phone- A Birdfeeder/Birdhouse

Started by Hill Haven Telephone Company, May 09, 2022, 08:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill Haven Telephone Company

Someone gave me a crosley wood phone the the other day,  I gutted it and promptly put it on a tree for a bird house/birdfeeder. 

Only good use for those knock off ones lol 

FABphones

Quote from: Hill Haven Telephone Company on May 09, 2022, 08:09:38 PMSomeone gave me a crosley wood phone the the other day,  I gutted it and promptly put it on a tree for a bird house/birdfeeder...

Well intended maybe, but not a good idea as is.

Size of hole and placement of hole in the wood is incorrect. Entrance hole size and placement is critical to their survival. Birds need to nest below the hole entry line.

As a feeder, it also needs a bit of work due to restricted access (one way in/out).

A Google search would be good for ideas on how safely to redesign that box.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Hill Haven Telephone Company

FABphones

Quote from: Hill Haven Telephone Company on May 10, 2022, 05:18:04 AMWas more intended as a funny joke.

...I get the 'phone to bird box' gag, however, assuming you have left your joke item attached so low to the tree, here are a couple of websites I've taken the time to find to get you started making it safe and usable -

Nesting Boxes:
https://www.audubon.org/news/build-nest-box-welcome-spring-birds

Bird Feeders:
https://www.thespruce.com/diy-bird-feeders-5081999

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

ka1axy

The best use for a "French" phone...base and dial salvaged & turned into a dial "busy box" for the grandkids (4 & 2).
Switch on right selects between 3 modes: count down, display digit, count up. Powered by 4xAA, auto-shutoff after 2 minutes idle, starts up again when dial is moved. CMOS up/down counters & misc logic. Bargraph on right counts up in center switch position (bottom is 0, top is 9)

This was a "DECO-TEL" phone with GTE innards (so, not a Chinese dial, should hold up well). I used the two sets of dial contacts to set a counter reset flop when the dial was initially turned, then clear it on the leading edge of the first dial pulse incrementing the counter on the trailing edge. For the count up & down modes, the reset flop is ignored. Schematic & PCB layout in KiCAD and PCBWay for the actual boards. Cost me more than I would like to think, but if the grandkids have fun with it, 'twill be well worth the $!

Happy Christmas, everyone!