News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 150 Candlestick - Lamp Reversal

Started by FABphones, July 15, 2022, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Two GPO 150 Candlestick telephones were purchased which had been converted into lamps:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25418

Dated 1918, and still with it's original black patina, one of these Candlesticks was in too nice a condition to remain a lamp conversion.

This thread describes the process; remove the electric cable and bayonet fitting, and reverse engineer the lamp conversion. Unfortunately the telltale sign (none functioning switch hook) of the interior having been stripped out proved to be accurate.

The baseplate was removed via one centre screw, sliding the internals upwards to remove, only the chassis itself was in there. No leaves. Even the little insulating terminal grommets had been taken out.

Examining the rest of the phone, the receiver shell was empty, and oddly, the metal dial blanking plate had a large triangular section cut out of the reverse. The switch hook was upside down (reversed F), and the circlip for the (missing) dial card was also upside down. The transmitter head internals had also been removed. The back of the transmitter housing had been drilled to insert the bayonet bulb fitting...

...more to follow.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

CJ....I purchased one today at Brimfield that I thought was a fake BUT Janet said get it. I thought I wasted $50 on a fake, as usual my wife was correct and I was wrong. Shocking :o ...pics tomorrow...Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

Certainly looks to be a challenge sir.

FABphones

Checking over the second 150 phone to lamp conversion, it also had issues:
- Added Bayonet loose
- 1A Bell Receiver damaged area to top
- Incorrect endcap
- Incorrect dial blanking plate
- Transmitter housing drilled (for Bayonet)
- Transmitter components removed
- Partially brassed out

The Receiver internals were complete.

The Chassis was intact with leaves and grommets. As this phone is the less correct externally this became a doner part.

The Chassis parts were swapped over - removed from the Perch (transmitter support) by the removal of three small screws. The more difficult of the three is reached by sliding the Switch Hook forward. This can be totally removed by sliding it forwards and lifting upwards (I needed to do this to remove and turn the 'F' the correct way around). When replacing do the same procedure in reverse, making sure the positioning lip clicks back into it's groove to help hold the hook switch secure (see photos).

In the spares bins there was a good condition complete 1A Bell Receiver which was in need of a clean and polish, an early single hole endcap with howler, a correct original twisted cord and a metal dial blanking plate. I also found a complete transmitter housing, so was able to completely swap out the drilled part.

NB: When removing old GPO handset cords, usually due to breaks, I keep them to one side and store for use where small lengths of cord are required. A handy way to have smaller lengths of original cord to hand, used here to reconnect transmitter.

...next - clean, polish, reassemble.

FABphones

Completed. All lamp conversion gone. Almost as it was when manufactured.
:)

Doug Rose

Kidphone

oldguy

Gary

RDPipes