"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory 232 ‘King Pyramid’ Build

Started by FABphones, July 25, 2022, 06:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This weeks new project:
Building an British 232 Ivory  'King Pyramid' telephone from spares.

All of these spare parts for a British 232 have been pulled from the spares bins. Each from various joblots over the past few years.

I was lucky and found an Ivory bellset with the correct mounting screws, so this will be attached underneath. This style being commonly known as a 'King Pyramid'.

Four parts are in need of repair, so those will be taking up the most time of this project. As and when these parts are found they may be replaced.

No10 dial dated 1937 also needing attention (slow).

Updates to follow...
 :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

I have a hunch this is going to be REAL nice!
You must have a store room of parts.

FABphones

Quote from: RDPipes on July 25, 2022, 07:11:50 AM...You must have a store room of parts.

My little workshop. A few Linbins of mostly junk but sometimes 'that something'.  :)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23861

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on July 25, 2022, 10:43:50 AMMy little workshop. A few Linbins of mostly junk but sometimes 'that something'.  :)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23861

Size never matters, I use to make pipes in a 12' x 9' shop on a 6" x 12" lathe that after all my tools were put in it
it turned into a hallway but, it certainly served it purpose. I now have a 12' x 20' and a 10" x 30" lathe and somehow
it got just as full, just the hall portion is a little wider, LOL!

FABphones

Well, now I know why these parts were thrown into joblots and sold on. Almost every part came with an issue. Quicker to name the parts which are good - handset, plunger, all innards, dial, cords, Directory Drawer and Card. Everything else has damage of some kind - including the housing actually being cracked completely across it's side from left to right. The Bellset cover had at some point been painted over in cream paint so traces of that also had to be removed.

The cradle is in a very poor state, having damage to one ear (front left) repaired at some point and painted over. I didn't touch that as a second ear was also damaged and putting them both right is more than the part is worth in time and materials. The hunt is on for another. Meantime this one will do it's job as originally intended.

A couple of none ivory parts made it onto the phone as this was a spares build and they were all I had.

The phone having been assembled from many others shows varying shades of ivory, as this model was wont to do.

On the plus side it displays nicely (if we don't look too closely), tested as working, and was a good reminder of how having done several of these, the design and build of this model could have been thought through better (in my opinion). Pretty Phone though so it's worth it.

LarryInMichigan

It looks beautiful.  I have always though this model to be one of the most elegant phones ever made, but always wondered how they could have been made so insanely fragile.  I wonder how many of these survived for long in public phone service.

Larry

RDPipes

Great looking phone CJ and a testament to your skills.
I really like these and just recently been seeing quite a few of them on Instagram of all places and have truly fallen in love with them. As always I might as well want a Rolls Royce, LOL!

FABphones

Very kind of you guys to say so, that makes it all worth it, thank you.

Now on display with it's cousins.

:)

Quote from: RDPipes on July 27, 2022, 09:25:54 AM...I might as well want a Rolls Royce...

A pink one of course (see Avatar).
;D

tubaman

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 27, 2022, 08:53:49 AMIt looks beautiful.  I have always though this model to be one of the most elegant phones ever made, but always wondered how they could have been made so insanely fragile.  I wonder how many of these survived for long in public phone service.

Larry

Remember that they were also in service as a 218 and 238 in public telephone boxes (kiosks). Perhaps people had more respect for things back then?

RDPipes

Just Gorgeous phones CJ, your really taxing my Phoneitis and better judgement not to spend
anymore on phones right now, Lord knows I still need to get cordage and who knows what for the restos I have.
LOL!