"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Re: using Trimline ringer in Galion phone

Started by RotoTech99, July 29, 2022, 03:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Jorge Amely & CRPF :

I found a bracket from a SCRAP WE 307 that I think would work well for mounting a Trimline ringer in a Galion phone...

The bracket originally mounted a terminal strip above the large cap in the 307, but it's center should accept a P-type ringer easily...

It might have to be reshaped a little, but should go over the ringer mount holes in the Galion baseplate.

I've not made the drill  modifications yet, but will go ahead and try mounting a P type ringer on it.

After I find my other Galion base, I'll gauge where the holes to match the base ringer mounts
and go from there.

Feedback and replies welcome.

Rototech99

RotoTech99

Dear Jorge & CRPF :

Here are more pics of the WE 307 bracket I plan to use to mount a Trimline ringer in a Galion phone...

Had a couple minor drill issues, but I think it will be OK...

Whilst waiting for my other Galion base to try it on, I'd appreciate any feedback please and comments the CRPF has with thanks.

Rototech99

markosjal

I think a Gallion ringing like a Trimline is just WRONG
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

MMikeJBenN27

Old Phone Shop sells replacement factory-stock ringers for these phones. as well as Leich ringers that work well.

Mike

RotoTech99

Dear Markosjal:

The Trimline ringer I'm using has the 63A brass gong instead of an aluminum 65A gong which produces a more antique sounding ring.

Rototech99

RotoTech99

Hello,

I don't think using a Trimline ringer is so wrong for a couple reasons...

1. If the Trimline ringer has a brass gong, it sounds closer to an "antique sound" than the aluminum gonged ones.

2. I'll concur its best to use the original ringer whenever possible; and if you have the budget for the original parts that is okay.

However, there are those who work on phones and restore them who don't have the resources/budget for the original parts (which depending on the website, store, etc  can be somewhat "out of range" for them) of which I'm one of those.

3. I do not see a reasonable argument against using "Franken phone retrofit parts" if they are used in a way that largely keeps the phone looking as close to original as they can with "minimal cosmetic" change to the overall phone appearance and allows it to operate on regular phone lines.

And yes, I respect everyone's views/opinions on CRPF.

Rototech99

markosjal

I honestly do not "see" a Problem, but I would "hear" a problem every time it rang and it would make me NUTS.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

RotoTech99

Dear Markosjal:

While what you said is true for you, I like the sound of a Trimline ringer with a brass gong, it sounds better than the aluminum gong and has a melodic echo to me.

Rototech99

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: markosjal on August 02, 2022, 02:39:06 AMI honestly do not "see" a Problem, but I would "hear" a problem every time it rang and it would make me NUTS.
I feel that people who "can't afford" to keep it STOCK should leave it for somebody who CAN.  Of course, if you are dealing with something that no correct parts can be found, that's different.

Mike

RotoTech99

I respectfully disagree, there is more than enough "room" to do it both ways.

And I'm good hearted enough to tell someone if a retrofit part is used.

Suprisingly, many don't ask, and they like that it works, retrofit parts or not.

In my instance, there aren't a lot of stock parts, so I plan on using a minimum of retrofit parts, and use the other original parts along with them whenever I work on phones.

Having a highly limited budget does not make things any easier.

I do my best with what I have, and always on the watch for ideas.

Rototech99

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: RotoTech99 on August 02, 2022, 07:07:06 PM...And I'm good hearted enough to tell someone if a retrofit part is used.
That's good that you tell folks.  Some modifiers keep it a secret.

Mike