News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What do You Use for Individual Dial Storage

Started by RDPipes, August 30, 2022, 06:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

I know many of you must have some sort of Dial collection for replacing or adding dials to
your purchased phones for any number of reasons as I do. I've been looking for a properly sized
individual plastic or cardboard containers to hold my various dials safely and dust free.The size I came up with,
and this was using a original cardboard dial container, was 3-1/4" diameter by 1-3/4" deep and as of yet I've not found any but, there are so many to look through when just doing a Google search its overwhelming.
Anyone here care to say what they use and where one can get them?
Oh, and I'm really not interested in the plastic 5 gallon pail method, LOL!

HarrySmith

I keep all my phones & phone parts in file storage boxes. The ones that have a "drawer" that slides in & out. You can see them stacked in the attached picture. The dials are either in the correct boxes they came with or wrapped in bubble wrap.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

I use several methods to store individual dials.

Some dials purchased at shows came in small individual boxes (photo). These are handy and probably less expensive than circular-shaped boxes. I haven't looked for a current source. If someone has one, perhaps we can work on a group quantity price.

I scrounged some cardboard boxes that conveniently hold several dials standing vertically. Cardboard separators can be cut if desired. Those shown hold 4-5 dials. I have several other boxes that are longer, holding about a dozen dials. I use a similar box for loose fingerwheels. Works well.

I also have several stackable metal cabinets (found at yard sales) with drawers that are convenient for both dial and parts storage. 

Edit: Found an old post with a photo of another handy storage cabinet that would work well for dials and parts.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6995.msg79342#msg79342

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

RDPipes

Yeah Harry, I keep all my parts in plastic containers of different sizes and WE and AE dials in separate containers, and also in their original cardboard containers or wrapped in bubble wrap also.
I really want to find some clear plastic individual containers for each dial like the cardboard ones so at a glance I can see which it is without having to unwrapped a 1/2 dozen dials before finding the one I want, that and to provide them more protection and have them organized better in the container.

RDPipes

Quote from: paul-f on August 30, 2022, 08:14:23 AMI use several methods to store individual dials.

Some dials purchased at shows came in small individual boxes (photo). These are handy and probably less expensive than circular-shaped boxes. I haven't looked for a current source. If someone has one, perhaps we can work on a group quantity price.

I scrounged some cardboard boxes that conveniently hold several dials standing vertically. Cardboard separators can be cut if desired. Those shown hold 4-5 dials. I have several other boxes that are longer, holding about a dozen dials. I use a similar box for loose fingerwheels. Works well.

I also have several stackable metal cabinets (found at yard sales) with drawers that are convenient for both dial and parts storage.

Those little square boxes you have are nice, I'd even go for square clear plastic ones if I couldn't find the round.
Those metal cabinets are real nice, I've got about a thousand uses for those. I was thinking of a group buy but, I didn't know how many would be interested. I found some at Uline I think but, you have to buy at least 50 I think. I'll check into it again and let you know and see what you think.

RDPipes

Quote from: paul-f on August 30, 2022, 08:14:23 AMI use several methods to store individual dials.

Edit: Found an old post with a photo of another handy storage cabinet that would work well for dials and parts.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6995.msg79342#msg79342

Well, this is all I could find so far, it's a little deeper then the original cardboard containers but I think it could be remedied with a 1' thick piece of foam or something else along the line of a spacer like they used in the cardboard containers. They measure 3-1/4" dia. x 2-3/4" deep and these are only about $33 per case of 36 and I know I could use at least 20 of them.

FABphones

Quote...I've been looking for a properly sized
individual plastic or cardboard containers...
...Anyone here care to say what they use and where one can get them...

They look good.

At the lower end of the market, larger crème fraîche pots have a clear lid and they are of the correct size to hold a dial. However, that might be a lot of crème fraîche to get through and be more expensive than buying a set of Tupperware-alike containers. Cheapie shops sell the latter. A dollar  or so might buy you half a dozen clear plastic containers with clip on lids (usually used for food storage).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

I get emails daily from a "surplus" place I got some stuff from. I just came across these tins with clear tops that look like they would work. Only $1.25 each with no minimum. They have lots of other storage stuff too.

https://www.sciplus.com/312-round-tin-with-clear-lid-68216-p
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on August 30, 2022, 12:00:12 PMThey look good.

At the lower end of the market, larger crème fraîche pots have a clear lid and they are of the correct size to hold a dial. However, that might be a lot of crème fraîche to get through and be more expensive than buying a set of Tupperware-alike containers. Cheapie shops sell the latter. A dollar  or so might buy you half a dozen clear plastic containers with clip on lids (usually used for food storage).
I've checked all around CJ, from fast food containers to these and found none here in the sates suitable accept these.
Now there might be some out there the perfect size but, I can't find'em.  :(  The Sour Cream containers I've seen here are all white in color and they are tapered towards the bottom, I really want to get ones that are straight from top to bottom and of course clear. 

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 30, 2022, 02:39:08 PMI get emails daily from a "surplus" place I got some stuff from. I just came across these tins with clear tops that look like they would work. Only $1.25 each with no minimum. They have lots of other storage stuff too.

https://www.sciplus.com/312-round-tin-with-clear-lid-68216-p
I've ordered from them, long time ago, don't remember what it was though.
Those would work but, personally I'm stuck on the clear ones so I can see exactly what dial it is,
most ya can't from the top look'en at the finger wheel.