News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft Plastic Yellow 554

Started by AET, March 16, 2023, 12:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMikeJBenN27

Yes, a few.  There were also some early ABS handsets and caps that looked like soft plastic, but were in fact ABS.  I sold one last year.

Mike

allnumbedup

Great find! I think the yellow 554 is very iconic of the 1970's (course yours is a trend setting early one). This is probably at the root of its desirability rather than outright rarity , probably more so than the desk version.  I have noticed that with more cable TV shows and movies set in the 1950's-1970's, sellers on ebay sometimes like to associate their phones with a particular show or movie----a yellow 554 is currently often labeled "as seen in Stranger Things" for example.

Second, I think it is great that you have a color marked and matching dial but do find it hard to explain how a color matched one got on this phone two years after the rest....possibly a finnicky collector like many of us here, perhaps?
Analog Phones for a Digital World

AET

I know what you mean about the movie/TV association. I have seen quite a few "Brady Bunch" phones on eBay.

I cannot explain the dial either. This phone did not come from a collector. The house it came from is currently for sale and I got it from a friend who frequents auctions and sells what she buys on Facebook Marketplace. It was in a typical "grandma house" so I'm assuming it was on the wall there all its life.

Quote from: allnumbedup on March 17, 2023, 09:46:41 AMGreat find! I think the yellow 554 is very iconic of the 1970's (course yours is a trend setting early one). This is probably at the root of its desirability rather than outright rarity , probably more so than the desk version.  I have noticed that with more cable TV shows and movies set in the 1950's-1970's, sellers on ebay sometimes like to associate their phones with a particular show or movie----a yellow 554 is currently often labeled "as seen in Stranger Things" for example.

Second, I think it is great that you have a color marked and matching dial but do find it hard to explain how a color matched one got on this phone two years after the rest....possibly a finnicky collector like many of us here, perhaps?
- Tom

MMikeJBenN27

I like the yellow ones too - have a 58 yellow soft plastic 554 - I think some of that might be TV show driven nostalgia, plus they blend in nice with woodwork and "kitchenish" colors.  My wife prefers red, the later brighter SC red, but it might not work with certain colors.  Yellow will.

Mike

HarrySmith

What is a "Brady Bunch" phone? 500?
Now you can tell your friends you have a "Stranger Things" phone ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

markosjal

Quote from: allnumbedup on March 17, 2023, 09:46:41 AMGreat find! I think the yellow 554 is very iconic of the 1970's (course yours is a trend setting early one). This is probably at the root of its desirability rather than outright rarity , probably more so than the desk version.  I have noticed that with more cable TV shows and movies set in the 1950's-1970's, sellers on ebay sometimes like to associate their phones with a particular show or movie----a yellow 554 is currently often labeled "as seen in Stranger Things" for example.

That 70s Show
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Stormcrash

Quote from: AET on March 17, 2023, 12:37:37 PMI know what you mean about the movie/TV association. I have seen quite a few "Brady Bunch" phones on eBay.

I cannot explain the dial either. This phone did not come from a collector. The house it came from is currently for sale and I got it from a friend who frequents auctions and sells what she buys on Facebook Marketplace. It was in a typical "grandma house" so I'm assuming it was on the wall there all its life.

Two thoughts I have on the dial, both pure speculation.

Perhaps the customer was having trouble with their dial so a repairman came and switched it out rather than replace the whole phone (as you said it was hardwired in place and seems to have never moved its whole life)

Other possibility is that maybe yellow was a lower volume color and the parts sat around for a couple years before going out the door. This kind of breaks down as the baseplate etc aren't color coded so doubt they would have sat that long as unfinished component pieces, but perhaps the phone sat and was found to have a bad dial before it was taken off the shelf and put on a truck

MMikeJBenN27

When that show was new, my parents only had a black & white TV, so I don't know what color the phone was.

Mike

TelePlay

Did you remove the stickers and if so, was there a color difference under them?

AET

It was a 500 or 554, now I can't remember lol

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 17, 2023, 03:14:03 PMWhat is a "Brady Bunch" phone? 500?
Now you can tell your friends you have a "Stranger Things" phone ;D
- Tom

AET

I haven't gotten into it yet, but will post pictures as I work on it!

Quote from: TelePlay on March 19, 2023, 05:47:27 PMDid you remove the stickers and if so, was there a color difference under them?

- Tom