Main Menu

Howdy - Introduction - "Keelan"

Started by Keelan, May 29, 2010, 02:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 29, 2010, 08:40:06 AM
Keelan:

Welcome to the forum!

Greg:  An 80E is a later version of the 80 that has a plastic base, and was able to be configured either for rotary or touch-call (AE's word for touch-tone DTMF)  It has a flat plastic clip-on bezel that resembles the one used on Western 1500/2500 sets.

Go down about halfway down the page on this link, and you can see what they were.  They were also made in the US in GTE for those on GTE system phones.  In fact, I even had one once in real life, and I have one in my collection now.

http://www.islandregister.com/phones/ae.html

Ok, I've actually seen the TT version in thrift stores but always passed them up.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

gpo706

My PBX is as recommended by folks here as the incomprable Pana KXT, not as interesting a device as yours though!

D/P - you would only need a proprietary phone if you want to customise your settings - eg assigning day or night mode extensions for ringing, or blocking toll-numbers etc, apart from that its plug and play, any presets can be cleared real easy.

Of course being me I jumped in with both feet, and picked up a 2nd hand 7130E (display set) which you need for programming and a dirt cheap DSS (Direct Station Selector) for 32 lines (eg twice as many extensions as my 6 to 16 needs), this was a nice buy its like a giant calculator with 32 ext buttons and 16 number store.

Each ext has 4 REN out so you could get from a 308 - 32 phones ringing if you had deaf neighbours...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

paul-f

Keelan:  Welcome!

I'd like to see some photos of your console in action.  It's always great to see something with lots of useful lights on and/or flashing.

D/P:  With the number of phones you have, a Panasonic 616 or larger system might be a better choice. 
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Keelan

Thanks for all of the welcomes. In the future, I'll share photos of some of my other systems; the SG-1, being all electronic, is the least interesting of them all to look at.

Quote from: paul-f on May 29, 2010, 04:39:17 PMI'd like to see some photos of your console in action.  It's always great to see something with lots of useful lights on and/or flashing.

I would love to post some photos of the console up and running, but I haven't had the console powered up for years. I don't get to visit most of my switching equipment that often, it is still at my parent's place, and I haven't lived there for 10 years. I think I have some photos of my 557 cord board lit up; will that suffice? :) I don't have a very good power supply here, so I can't light up all 80 incoming lines, though ;)

bwanna

Quote from: Keelan on May 29, 2010, 06:43:41 PM
I don't get to visit most of my switching equipment that often, it is still at my parent's place, and I haven't lived there for 10 years.

i guess i'll quit harping about the misc items my son has stored here. ;) great stuff, keelan, adds another dimension to our little corner of the world.  :) welcome!
donna

bellsystemproperty

Wow, and I thought my 1232 was big. Here's a picture of my system that Steve Dunne help me set up. It has a Panasonic 1232 and a shoebox for the key phones. I got into phones about a year ago, and I'm 15 now.

C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 29, 2010, 02:31:31 PM
Jorge;
'Thanks for the heads up.
Exactly what situation would evolve were I would NEED the PBX, I have POTS now, and can run 5 phones.
D/P

D/P:
To me it has been an interesting tool to fix phones, a way to demo phones to people that visit my office and a toy to play with, all mixed together. Currently I have 16 WE phones connected to it, however, I wish I could introduce a delay between ringing because since they are all in close proximity, it sounds like a very loooong ring that moves from one phone to the other.

For simplicity, Panasonic decided to ring phones in groups of 4. Now that we have switching people joining the forum, maybe they can suggest ways to fix this, if possible.

The pictures below show how I connected the PBX. I made 16 RJ-11 to 4 prong adapters and the phones all connect there.
Jorge

bellsystemproperty

Be sure you run the Panasonic 616 vertically. If you run it horizontally it will overheat because it uses convection cooling. I think that's why my 616 died.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

gpo706

Jorge, that looks just as much the same set-up as mine, I lose track of all the darn cables, plus all my GPO stuff needs seperate ADSL filters!

bwanna

scot, can't you use a "whole house" filter at the point of entry?
donna

JorgeAmely

Quote from: gpo706 on May 29, 2010, 08:51:20 PM
Jorge, that looks just as much the same set-up as mine, I lose track of all the darn cables, plus all my GPO stuff needs seperate ADSL filters!

I use a filter than allows DSL only to one line and POTS service to the rest of the house.

PS: Just like Donna mentioned below.
Jorge

gpo706

Donna/Jorge, I tried a splitter at the main scoket, no ADSL, and crackly phones.

All my US phones work fine on the PBX without them, being 2 wire, GPO/BT stuff seems to need filters on each, they are 4 wired.

Anyhoo I'm off for a week so time for a strip back and rewire from main POTS downwards!

McHeath

Welcome Keelan!  We certainly are gaining a following on PBX systems.  Jorge do all those phones ring at the same time?  That would be one impressive sound!

JorgeAmely

McHeath:

Following a system reset, by either removing the battery or using the special phone, an incoming call will cause all the phones (16 of them) to ring in groups of 4 at a time.

Jorge

Phonesrfun

Jorge:

There are settings that allow you to set various extensions to have delayed ringing.  Presumably you have one incoming line.  You can set, for example, extensions 12 through 26 to only ring after a certain number of seconds from the time ringing starts, leaving 10 to ring always.  Or you can do other combinations to suit your needs. 

I did that on mine because the "ring around the rosy" ringing was driving me nuts.  It is not the most intuitive way of programming, but the option is available if you have the programming phone and a manual.
-Bill G