"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

FrankenPhones AKA the Kludge of the Month Award

Started by Come in Nighthawk, June 05, 2010, 06:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Wow, that's a RIOT!

It is the top of an AE 183 Spacesaver mounted on a dial blank. Talk about "Quick, find me a dial for this phone, any dial will do"! They could have at least used an AE 80 to mount it on.

Frankenphone is right! This is the first phone that the person with a 2400 feedback has bid on!

Terry

paul-f

That phone would certainly add visual interest to a collection!

The seller spent minutes on the description:

You are bidding on a Vintage Bell System Western Electric Black Rotary Telephone.  This phone is still in good condition.  This has been put away instorage for a while so it may be a little dusty and could sue a clenaing.  There are some nocks and scratches but nothing to major.  Buyer to pay shipping and handling charges
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

It's the "nocks" that cause us collectors the most problems....

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 11, 2013, 02:54:18 PM

Terry

For some bizarre reason, that reminded me of a posting that I saw for a car for sale on a local bulletin board a while back.  The description of the car stated that it had new "breaks".  I guess the seller was trying to save the buyer from having to add his/her own breaks.

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 11, 2013, 03:04:54 PM
Quote from: AE_Collector on February 11, 2013, 02:54:18 PM

Terry

For some bizarre reason, that reminded me of a posting that I saw for a car for sale on a local bulletin board a while back.  The description of the car stated that it had new "breaks".  I guess the seller was trying to save the buyer from having to add his/her own breaks.

Larry

We can all use a break every once in a while :)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

zaphod01

The AE 183 Spacesaver mounted on a dial blank on a Model 500 went for $77.00.

Somebody really wanted that dialer!  ::)

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

AE_Collector

WesternElectricBen

Yeap, Im the unproud owner of a franken phone. A AE body and a western electric F1 handset. All sugar coated in a orangey pink.

Ben

AE_Collector

Hey, we all forgot about the Kludge of the Month topic! The last phone submitted by Zaphod01 still breaks me up! It starts back a page with this post.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2825.msg93891#msg93891

Good thing Zaphod posted a picture or it would be another "what are they talking about" pictureless discussion!

Terry

markosjal

Quote from: Adam on November 27, 2010, 02:09:44 PM
Here's a pic of a phone from eBay from a while back which I think is much more obviously a frankenphone.

Notice the AE-style dial, probably from one of those Japanese "french" phone rip-offs, forced into a WE or ITT (it's hard to tell from this photo) Princess phone.

That is neither a WE nor ITT princess as it lacks the front ridge  (front rectangle) that keeps it from slipping out of your hand whn you pick it up. Probably a Chinese clone all the way.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 27, 2010, 11:10:08 AM
Here's a good example that I stumbled upon today.  This Red "Western Electric" model 500 has an Automatic Electric chassis and housing, a Western Electric dial bezel and dial along with a G5 W.E. handset.  The ringer box is thrown in for fun.

http://goo.gl/99CrR

The AE housing actually fits on the WE base?
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

andre_janew

I have a Stromberg-Carlson 1543 with an Automatic Electric dial.  I suppose that makes it a FrankenPhone.

phonium

A D1 with 7C dial and Automatic Electric(?) handset
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unique-Antique-Modified-Rotary-Phone-D1-Base-Bakelite-Handset-1960-Dial/284067385661   ( dead link 02-15-21 )
George Amores
ATCA#4857

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: phonium on November 03, 2020, 08:05:35 PM
A D1 with 7C dial and Automatic Electric(?) handset
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unique-Antique-Modified-Rotary-Phone-D1-Base-Bakelite-Handset-1960-Dial/284067385661

That phone is sure a mess, but people will be bidding on it for the very rare brown AE handset.  I wouldn't be surprised if it ends over $100.

Larry

Key2871

Nice, for the sight impared, right!
Or, hey I've got this old phone thats missing a dial and handset, and I've got these other parts,. I'll just stick them on this and make one cool looking phone and put it on eBay!
KEN