News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cradle Phones, is it worth collecting?

Started by mienaichizu, November 20, 2008, 02:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

Does cradle phones like in the picture is it worth collecting? Many antique collectors here in the Philippines thinks that these phones are older than the WE500's and AE80's and they sell these cradle phone much expensive knowing that the fact is that design line telephones started production during the 80's

Or is it because of its design why these phones are sold more expensive rather than the usual standard home telephones

What do you think guys?

JimH

I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder.  The design-Line telephones were definately "fancier" than a standard 500, which may be more appealing to someone who is not a collector.  To a collector it really is not worth much here, but who knows....
Jim H.

bingster

I've been toying with the idea of putting together a collection of the different Design Line phones while they're still relatively inexpensive.  I don't know that I like them enough to actually do it, though. ;)

You see expensive pricing on these on ebay occasionally, but most sellers know enough to know they're just not worth much.  They're nice phones, though.

As for why sellers want great sums of money for them, I can only guess that A) They truly think they're old and worth a lot of money, or B) They know the phones aren't worth much, but are trying to trick unsuspecting buyers into thinking they are old and valuable.
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

Quote from: bingster on November 20, 2008, 04:35:28 PM
I've been toying with the idea of putting together a collection of the different Design Line phones while they're still relatively inexpensive.  I don't know that I like them enough to actually do it, though. ;)

You see expensive pricing on these on ebay occasionally, but most sellers know enough to know they're just not worth much.  They're nice phones, though.

As for why sellers want great sums of money for them, I can only guess that A) They truly think they're old and worth a lot of money, or B) They know the phones aren't worth much, but are trying to trick unsuspecting buyers into thinking they are old and valuable.

its funny to think that every time I ask the seller about it she says that this phone ranges from roughly about $80-100 and she says that it is really old that it dates back to the 30's

Dan

I picked up a "celebrity"  and "Exceter-alligator print" at a thrift store for $2 each. Both are western electric rock solid with the classic bell sound (single bell sound). I also have a yellow accent w/ wicker (sentimental, we had it @ mom and dad's pool).

Anytime I see a western electric quality phone, I buy it (if it's under $5). You can give them away to land line phone people with cordless phones who get lost without electric. I think they will eventually go up in value, but since they date to the seventies, I would wait 20 years or so.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

I remember looking at the celebrity phones at the AT and T stores in the late 70s and thinking they were kinda funky.  They have the handset caps of the standard G handset, and the dial of a late model Princess, but sorta look like early 20th century French.  Sorta.  I see them every so often, and people seem to be thinking they are worth a lot as the prices can be high, probably as you all have speculated, they think they are really old.  I too am pondering picking up some more of the design line phones from the 70's and early 80's, before they end up costing a zillion bucks.

BDM

My collection of Design Line phones is about 80% complete. I like them, if for nothing else, they were a part of phone history. They were also conceived during the last decade that BellĀ® ruled the wires.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

mienaichizu

I'm also eyeing on design line telephones although the prices here are ridiculous, especially the cradle ones. I like its styling and would greatly match some of my furniture in the house.