News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Our European members can identify this phone, spotted 33:35 into the 1962 movie "Sherlock Holmes and the Deadly Necklace" with Christopher Lee as Sherlock Holmes. Filmed in 1962 but obviously set in an earlier time period. That's one large receiver.

countryman

It's a German Model 03 or 04 - may also have been used in other countries?
See my latest find ;-)
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=26677.0

I think it is a M.03, which has has all components built into the desk (see the lock under the writing board). The 04 has the components mounted to the back board and the entire desk would flip down with hinges at the underside.

I'll add more pictures to the other thread soon. Unfortunately mine is missing most innards because the dial and a modern PCB have been cobbled in.

countryman

I need to correct myself, it is more a Model 1900. The boards on the side of the desk/box are straight, not curved.

Erin Tyres

The old TV series "Land of the Giants" was about a spaceship that ends up on a planet where everything is 18 times its normal size.  Despite that, the giant aliens spoke English and had model 500 phones much like ours.  The phone is on display at "Prop Plaza" for anyone who wants to see it firsthand.

RDPipes

Quote from: paul-f on May 11, 2022, 09:10:52 PMWe have all seen gouged porcelain dial number plates with damage due to subscribers dialing with tools like pens, sticks, screwdrivers, etc.

The film Dick Tracy's Dilemma (1947) shows one of the more unusual ways they could be damaged.

Must be dialing long distance, he keeps dialing 1-2-1-2.......LOL!

countryman

Not sure the Blues Brothers have been mentioned yet?
I'm afraid the booth and some other now collectible items were destroyed or seriously damaged in the making of the movie.

markosjal

Quote from: countryman on October 26, 2022, 03:22:44 PMNot sure the Blues Brothers have been mentioned yet?..
...I'm afraid the booth and some other now collectible items were destroyed or seriously damaged in the making of the movie.

The wiight of the phone would have killed em.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

Here is an Interesting one and a 1978 movie set in the Futuristic year 2022 (watch it again before the year is gone). It is the "1984" of 2022 in many ways

twice in the movie "Soylent Green" Charelton Heston dials on what appears to be a (cordless) TouchTone trimline handset (in a call box) but then has to enter a code on a separate keypad on the phone base. Was Tone over-dialing thought of later? Makes no sense to dial on one keypad then enter a code on another.

This "Cordless trimline" handset concept (although rotary as I recall) is also seen in "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" 1972.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Dave F

Star Trek - The Original Series,

Episode 55 (1968) "Assignment Earth"

The Enterprise goes back in time to 1968 where Kirk and his crew manage to save the world yet again.  Special guest stars Robert Lansing and Teri Garr are seen in an office with two vintage phones: a 1500 set, and a 1662 Card Dialer.  Not something you would normally expect to find in a Star Trek episode!

david@london

That looks great, don't remember that one...will have to dig out my 1960s Star Trek dvd box set.

FABphones

The wonderful Mr Patrick McGoohan in:

Danger Man
'I'm Afraid You Have The Wrong Number'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwPqF2H74o8

An episode filled with several models of vintage phones, including ring tones and the sound of a number being dialled.

Warning: one scene not for the faint hearted - a number is dialled using a pen.

(Well worth investing in the box set, great series).
 :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Dave F

The Fugitive - Original TV Series,

Episode 36 (1964) "Tiger Left, Tiger Right"

Guest star Leslie Nielson is tapping a phone line with a Western Electric 1011C Test Set (Buttinski).

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

As all you eagle-eyed phone collectors can plainly see, he is talking into the receiver end of the phone!!  A fine actor, to be sure, but obviously not well versed in telephone technology.

The second picture is a page from BSP 100-120-101 showing which end of this test set is the receiver and which is the transmitter.

TelePlay

Thanks for that.

Now, this has been posted before, at least the image on the left, and it seems someone in the crew told him how to use it the next time (older in the right side image) he climbed the pole.

Dave F

Do you know anything about the dates of these pics?

My wife noticed that he has parted his hair on opposite sides in the two pictures.  Either he had changed his hairstyle, or one of the photos is flipped.  Of course, that is unrelated to his education regarding proper Buttinski use!

DF

TelePlay