News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

is texting a fad?

Started by Kenny C, July 28, 2010, 12:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of you think Text messaging is going to be a thing of the past in 50 years?

Yes
11 (57.9%)
no
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Kenny C

i wanna know folks do you all think it will be like the hoola-hoop
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

It's here to stay because it is an extremely effective, inobtrusive way to keep tabs on someone (spoken by a parent of teenage kids).
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bellsystemproperty

Texting is like regressing back to the telegraph. It'll probably be gone in 50years, because then they'll be using something else that can hold more than 160 characters, like mms. (texting is called sms- short messaging service)
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

Phonesrfun

I'll go with yes and no.  Here to stay for now, and I am with Kyle on the idea that they will come up with something else some day soon.  We live in an age where there is always something newer and "better" that will take over and make everything we do or technology we use obsolete.  I am waiting for the day when we can all send our thoughts through mental telepathy.  Probably not in my lifetime.
-Bill G

stub

Bill,
      I'd still get a wrong number!!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

paul-f

That reminds me of a clip from the movie "The President's Analyst" on the subject.

If you don't want to watch the whole movie, you can see a summary and clip here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/telmovie1.htm
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUa3np4CKC4

One wonders how many times the folks who broke up the Bell System watched this movie...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

bingster

I said yes (thing of the past).  Once the full effect of the damage to the hands becomes apparent (it's starting to now), I think many, many parents will block their kids' access to that service. 

I don't understand the lure, myself.  It's like bsp says--it's telegram vs. phone call, and I don't get the desire to go backward in communication methods.
= DARRIN =

Russ Kirk

From a wireless carrier point of view, a few years ago the majority of wireless growth was on the voice side.  The situation has now flipped in the last few years.  Today, a majority of the network elements we are adding are to handle the growth in data (text, email, internet, photos, video, etc) voice has leveled off to a slower growth pattern.  Today,  more text messages are sent than voice calls.   

The demographics of text and data users is younger people,  while conversely,  the older people still use the voice service more than data. As time goes by those younger users who have become accustomed to using text and data will become the vast majority.

In the business world like mine,  we are seeing more and more text messages, email and IM used to conduct daily tasks. 

I know I won't be alive in 50 years to chime in on the results in the forum. But IMHO, for now, texting is here and growing very strong.

Russ...
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

HarrySmith

I voted yes as I think it will be replaced by a new technology but I do not think it is just a "fad".
Maybe the new technology will be "thought text". You think it and it gets sent from a chip in your head ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

I don't think it's a fad. I think it will evolve intro a better technology.
It's been awhile since a fad caught on in almost all segments of society. Special laws had to be passed to restrict it use in cars.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

Do you guys remember when those little black flip phones were all the rage both of my parents and everyone in our church had one. I think texting will be gone in 10 yrs.  But I think they will find a better way before it leves us.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Kenny;
Do you mean like this one. I still have, and still use mine.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

i guess that was the virgin Mobile version but I am talking about those with the short antennas and they were covered in shiny silver plastic anyone have one? a big screen in the middle.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

i must admit i am an avid texter i send on average 3000 messages a month
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bwanna

well, i goofed up a little when i voted, by not reading the question. i answered no cuz i do not think texting is a fad, but i do think it will be a thing of the past in 50yrs. i just heard about a phone that delivers your spoken message as a text. so is this technically texting  ???

if i need a prompt response from my son or neices..send a text. my ma sends texts to my phone via aol. at work we get texts or message on the company "chat".

i think before long human thumbs will be longer & pointed & we will loose voice function.  ::)
donna