News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phones of Hearst Castle

Started by McHeath, September 11, 2008, 12:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

We spent a week vacation over at Cayucus California this summer, it's on the central coast about 2.5 hours drive from home.  While there we popped up to Hearst Castle, William Hearst's mansion on hill near Cambria.  Quite the pile, simply amazing, who else dismantles Roman temples in North Africa and has them shipped over for a pool folly?

Anyway there were many phones about, here are a few of the memorable ones.

This phone is Hearst's personal phone in his bedroom on the top floor.

McHeath

This is the phone in the kitchen, it was on a desk in the center of the main preparation area.

McHeath

This 554 was near the kitchen in a hallway.  Clearly installed after Hearst's death, it looked to be the most modern phone I saw in the house.

McHeath

This is the phone of Marion Davies, Hearst's live in mistress. 

McHeath

Finally, this is the phone in the on-site construction office. 

None of the phones, other than the 554, had dials.  I don't know why Hearst had such dated technology by the time of his death, perhaps there was a switchboard in the house, or there was no modern switching equipment in the area.

Mark Stevens

I sure wish I wasn't a zillion miles away, or I'd really like to tour that place. Thank you for sharing... those photos are great!  Funny that the candlestick has one of those red cross antiseptic mouthpieces...just like the Strowger phone posted by HELLO CENTRAL yesterday.
Rosebud.... Rosebud....