News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cleaning Cloth Cords

Started by Kenny C, October 10, 2010, 08:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I have looked through these old topics conserning this subject but i have not found a sure fire way. I just ran mine through the sink using Gain Dish liquid(This is new and removes paint better than palmolive). Would it help it dry but not ruin the conductors if I put it in the Dryer on fluff heat for 30:00?
Thanks
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

I don't think that there is any need to help the cords dry.  Just hang them somewhere to dry and give them a day.

Larry

Dennis Markham

I've had some luck with soaking the cords in a bowl of warm water with Woolite in it.  After they soak for a while I use a tooth brush to scrub them.  Rinse and let air dry.  If they are bent out of shape, I hang a not-too-heavy weight from the strain relief and attach the other end to the rafter in my basement.  When the dry, they're usually straight.  If they're Ivory cords, DO NOT USE BLEACH.  Someone warned about that as it will ruin silk cords.

Kenny C

Does hanging them like that make them more pliable?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

I don't think hanging does that...it just straightens out a cord that may otherwise be kinked...and works better if the cord has been soaked and is wet.  I suppose cleaning the cloth makes it more pliable because old dirt is removed.

Kenny C

this one wasn't kinked just stiff
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Cleaning may help it.  If the rubber underneath the cloth is cracking it may do more harm than good.

Kenny C

the conductors are in good shape on the ends i am going to use these on my 1937.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

I have heard that woolite is a good cleaner for handwashing cords.
I offer it for consideration.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.