"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New members of the family.

Started by Greg G., November 30, 2014, 04:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

The B1 "Old Brass".
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

What's with the extra yellow wire on th fatboy?  Looks like someone was trying to strap the metal base to a ground connection with the assumption that the yellow wire in the modular cord was connected to a ground.  Not necessarily so with modular wiring.  Any way, I think that connection is "extra".
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Brinybay on December 01, 2014, 03:00:20 PM
SC 1212, aka "Fat Boy".  Been wanting one of these.  Fully functions except it doesn't ring, although I heard it "ding" once.

The SC 1212 has a frequency ringer, so making it ring might be tricky.  I replaced the frequency ringer in mine with one from Steve Hilsz a couple of years ago.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 01, 2014, 03:10:25 PM
What's with the extra yellow wire on th fatboy?  Looks like someone was trying to strap the metal base to a ground connection with the assumption that the yellow wire in the modular cord was connected to a ground.  Not necessarily so with modular wiring.  Any way, I think that connection is "extra".

Looks like a perfectly good wire, so if not needed, then I'll add it to my wire drawer.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Briny....where did you get these??? I have the same B1....it is a killer. Love the old brass. ..Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 01, 2014, 06:13:55 PM
Briny....where did you get these??? I have the same B1....it is a killer. Love the old brass. ..Doug

Morphy Auctions via Proxibid -  www.proxibid.com.  They happened to be in the Advertising & Toy category for some reason.  There's some awesome sticks on there now going for big bucks!  http://tinyurl.com/mjgz3z6
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The Connecticut Electric.  I tried taking the handset apart to see how to replace the handset cord, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.  This will be a decor piece only.  It's missing the receiver diaphragm any, and probably would be difficult to wire for single-line usuage. 

- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The Imperial.  I'll be honest, I never really cared much for these and don't seek them out, but after reading some history about them, it'll be worth refurbishing as an historical piece of telephony.  The gold plating is a bit worn, will need refinishing.  The transmitter element is missing (not difficult to find), handset caps have hairline cracks (hmmm).  I don't know what's involved in getting it refinished, so I'll be looking for pointers on that. 
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

More Imperial pics.
- Mike Row
e