News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

202 Ringers

Started by tjmack99, December 09, 2010, 10:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjmack99

From limited research on ebay, it seems as though some restorers of 202 phones leave them without the ringer boxes. Either because the ringer is missing, or other reasons.......so in general, are these phones more desirable with the ringer box, or without?

AE_Collector

I'm probably not the one to answer your question but my opinion would be that a phone that originally needed a subset is more valuable if it comes with the proper subset. But that is from a phone collectors point of view. Someone who wants a neat old phone for that works for the livingroom may find the seperate subset a nuisance and would prefer the phone have a mini network inside the base to make it work properly.

Just my opinion.  Terry

Phonesrfun

The "ringer box" is more than just a ringer.  The 202 deskset, as it is called, is just a hookswitch dial and handset and a cradle.  The parts that make it a phone are in what is called a subset or subscriber's set.  Not only does it contain a ringer, but the condensers and the induction coil.  Without those, it is not adviseable to hook the deskset up to the phone line without going through the subset.

It has often been said that if you just buy the deskset, you really only have half a phone.  The reason for that is the induction coil, the condensers and the ringer were way to large in the 1930's to all fit in the desk set itself.  Not until the late 1930's when they had been able to get the components small enough were they able to get them all into the desk set, and that is where the 302 comes in.

You can buy subsets separately on e-Bay, or you can make one out of a 302 base, or you can do a little wiring creativity and make one out of the network of a 500, and then add the ringer, or just use the base of a 500 phone with the ringer.  Using a 500 does require a little wiring to get around the different hookswitch configuration on a 500.

If you are creative, you can also get a mini network out of a GTE Styleline phone and actually get that to fit in the base of the 202 (D1 mount) body, but you would still need a separate ringer or go without a ringer.  All these things have been addressed in many topics on this forum, so you can search for them.

Probably the reason you don't see them sold as a pair is that either the seller does not know this, or they are wanting to sell them separately to get more money.  Another reason is that it was always easy to just disconnect the phone body and leave the subset screwed to the wall.  Countless subsets (and 202's for that matter) have made it to landfills over the decades.  Especially before the collectors became interested in them.

And yes, for the reasons mentioned, they ARE more desireable with the subsets! (and usually more expensive).

Hope that answers your question.

-Bill G

tjmack99

Thanks very much for the detailed answer.
Tim

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 10, 2010, 01:33:16 AM
You can buy subsets separately on e-Bay, or you can make one out of a 302 base, or you can do a little wiring creativity and make one out of the network of a 500, and then add the ringer, or just use the base of a 500 phone with the ringer.  Using a 500 does require a little wiring to get around the different hookswitch configuration on a 500.

I was told the original wooden-housed crank subset that came with mine could also be re-wired to work, but I lacked the abilities and work ethic to go to that trouble, so I got a 684A subset at the last phone show in our area.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Definitely get the subset.  If you get a 202 I would recommend the 634 for that old timey ring, but if space is a concern then the 684 is a good bet.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

Sargeguy's trying to corner the market in B and D mounts. ;)
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

It's a buyer's market, so stock up while you can!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409