"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What a way to start the day.....

Started by AET, January 04, 2011, 01:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tribune

My sympathies Tom.
Never had such a large scale catastrophe, but did manage to have a HEEMAF model 1955 'Batphone' pulled off a table by getting entangled in the line cord - chipped the corner off the Bakelite case. I can only imagine that moment of gut-wrenching horror when you realized what the noise was and saw the mess. Are the two Leich sets recoverable?
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

NorthernMan

As for what would happen if the magnets fail, you might want to talk to Mr. Newton.
After you hear what he has to say,
you might want to talk to Mr. Murphy

Who are these people ? If the earth's magnetic poles reverses like they say , i may be in trouble.

Dennis Markham

I think Doug (Wallphone) was referring to Sir Isaac Newton who was well versed in theory of motion and gravity.  Mr Murphy refers to Murphy's Law.  Paraphrasing Murphy's Law.....If anything can go wrong, it will.

LarryInMichigan

Tom,

If the magneto phone damaged was a Leich with the crank where the dial would be, those are pretty easy to replace cheaply.  I see them frequently for $25 or less.  Not to minimize your pain, but at least it wasn't an AE34 or similar.  One of our members recently posted about an AE34 which arrived in pieces :'(  I posted a while back about a dialless version of the Leich phone which I bought on ebay and which arrived crushed.  Those phones are really fragile.

Larry

AET

Well, my shelves are back in business.  I put L-Brackets in the corners, and Drywall Screws into every shelf, and reinforced the backing.  It's built like a brick sh*thouse now.
- Tom

McHeath

Awful thing to have happen.  Our old phones are pretty heavy, hope my shelves don't yield to that pesky gravity.

AET

If I owned the place, I'd bolt 'em to the floor and to the wall!
- Tom

AET

Here are pics from when it happened.

- Tom

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

Jorge

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AET

Oh it was not a good day at all.  And the one board which the fan is sitting on top of, has 3 554's mounted to it and everything fell right on top of them.  Surprisingly enough, they were okay.
- Tom

LarryInMichigan

Tom,

Is that a cat bowl next to the shelves?  It might not be a good idea to attract pets to the area near the phone shelves.

Larry

Dan/Panther

Tom;
I agree with Larry. I'm not convinced the Cat didn't do it.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

Earl and Randy never bother my phones.  They only go in there to eat.
- Tom