News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The end of POTS?

Started by Phonesrfun, March 20, 2011, 12:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

POTS and DSl are carried on the same line.  Phone guy who came out to fix my static couldn't stress that point enough. So, if you got no DSL problems, they may be asking that to try and pinpoint it to the line, or your phone.

AE_Collector

Agreed, knowing if the DSL is working when your phone goes out helps to isolate an otherwise tough to locate intermittent trouble.

In most if not all cases where a DSLAM cabinet feeds the DSL for the "last mile", the dial tone is still coming from the CO or possibly a remote closer to the CO. The DSL gets to the DSLAM on fibre and joins up with your CO line (dial tone) at the cabinet for the final leg of the journey to your house.

Terry

old_stuff_hound

I was just surprised that POTS was the lowest priority for them. That tells me that they'd be happy switch everybody to U-Verse if they could, so I know where they're making more money.

AE_collector, that makes sense about the POTS and DSL. I was beginning to wonder if my "POTS" line was really VoIP (VoATM?) terminating at the DSLAM....

Cheers!

AE_Collector

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on July 06, 2011, 06:43:30 AM
I was just surprised that POTS was the lowest priority for them. That tells me that they'd be happy switch everybody to U-Verse if they could, so I know where they're making more money.

I think you've got it right...they are running a business. I've seen similar although not quite as blatant behavior from the Telco here.

Terry

George Knighton

Do I understand correctly that if you buy the BTTN version of the XLink Bluetooth Gateway that you can have your cell signal powering all the POTS line in your house?

I saw one post where somebody was using three phones on a Bluetooth Gateway, but it's not clear that he's using his cell to power the whole house.  (He might've been using the signal to a splitter or something.)
Annoying new poster.

poplar1

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 20, 2011, 08:55:22 PM
I had to insist that Verizon let me keep my POTS line when I installed FIOS.  They really wanted me to go with VOIP instead.

Last week, the ATT.com website showed "U-Verse Voice" when you "shopped" for residential  home phone service.  At the bottom, there was a link

http://localization.att.com/loc/controller?prod-snip=res_homephone_services

---which showed "standard home  phone service" (land lines). They were  even offering free installation of land lines (normally $49) for online orders only.

I wonder whether at some point POTS will be grandfathered, and, after that, new customers will be forced to use VOIP (Uverse voice). At some point they would then discontinue traditional land lines and rip out the copper plant.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: George Knighton on December 26, 2012, 07:39:02 PM
Do I understand correctly that if you buy the BTTN version of the XLink Bluetooth Gateway that you can have your cell signal powering all the POTS line in your house?

I saw one post where somebody was using three phones on a Bluetooth Gateway, but it's not clear that he's using his cell to power the whole house.  (He might've been using the signal to a splitter or something.)

The limitation would be the number of active ringers.  You can have a thousand phones with no ringers connected, and as long as you use one at a time you would be ok.  I have never owned an X Link, so I don't know how many ringers it will handle.  other than ringers, you should be able to hook up the whole house.
-Bill G

George Knighton

Quote from: XLink Manual.Using House Wiring:

Find a spot in your house/office etc where you get good cell phone reception.

Plug XLink into a wall power outlet.

Disconnect your home wiring from your local telephone company. This can be done at the demarcation point where your telephone service enters your house. Consult a professional if you are unsure of how to do this.

Use a regular telephone cord and plug the telephone jack on XLink into a nearby telephone jack.
Pair and connect your bluetooth cell phone to XLink.

All phones plugged into telephone jacks throughout you house will now become cell phone extension sets.

Well, well, well. 

Something else to think about.

0_o
Annoying new poster.

Phonesrfun

It is important to disconnect the line coming in from the central office to keep any interferance out.  Then the Xlink can be connected to back-feed the house.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

You wouldn't believe the number of times that I find customers dial tone feeding down the street back to the CO and in many cases there is still CO battery on the line as well. Some people (and even cable TV - phone installers) don't have a clue!

Terry

Phonesrfun

Wow, thats amazing.  I wonder if they dialed a number if it would connect from two separate services.  i guess it would.  They would hear both ringing and a busy.
-Bill G

poplar1

Wouldn't the CO line have to be disconnected (or at least have a number change) when the phone number was ported to the cell phone or VOIP line? In that case, there might still be battery coming from the CO but no dial tone since that port in the CO switch was no longer programmed.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: poplar1 on December 26, 2012, 10:08:27 PM
Wouldn't the CO line have to be disconnected (or at least have a number change) when the phone number was ported to the cell phone or VOIP line? In that case, there might still be battery coming from the CO but no dial tone since that port in the CO switch was no longer programmed.

Not everyone ports, and some places I have seen leave dial tone on a line after having it disconnected, but about all you can call is 911 or the phone company to reconnect.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

The only times I have heard both dial tones is when the facilities from the CO were finally reused for someone else in the area so a line gets connected to the cable pair and it is on top of dial tone from feeding from the customer until we get out there to change the connections routing the new number to the new destination.

Most often it is either a dead cable apir back to the CO or a line with battery from the CO line card but no dial tone that is fighting with sial tone from out in the field.

I have also seen where someone had a second line in their house but discontinued it and then someone decides they know how to get the remaining phone line at the house working on all jacks. They lift everything off of the now dead prot and put them onto the existing live prot.....including the drop wire that used to feed the now discontinued line. Thus, dial tone once again feeding back to the CO from the field. At least in this instance the dial tone is feeding back to where it originates from!

Terry

George Knighton

I can't help it...I've gotta give this XLink BTTN thing a try.  :-)

Just can't help experimenting with things.

I doubt I'll be fully satisfied with cellular network glitches and delays for the house, but I'd like to try it.  Maybe I'll forego the PBX-like function at some point and then it'll at least be of use making it possible to use a rotary phone in a room where there's no connection and little likelihood of a connection.

At some point in the future, I'll likely end up with Comcast Digital Voice + PBX the way that a few others of you seem to be doing, but this'll make an interesting sideline experiment and precursor to the PBX Era out here in the Home Shires.  :-)

Annoying new poster.