News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Amazing

Started by Tonyrotary, March 30, 2011, 01:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

I got to thinking about these old phones we have and collect. What amazes me I believe is that what other system out there is so backwards compatible? I mean you can take a hundred year old candle stick and with maybe a small wiring change still use it today. For how much longer, who knows, but still. Sure old radios and tv's still work but they just recieve. Phones also transmit. The fact that a candlestick can still communicate with a modern cordless or even a cell phone is just amazing! Mr. Bell himself would be amazed!

Adam

Quote from: Tonyrotary on March 30, 2011, 01:11:29 PM
Sure old radios and tv's still work but they just recieve.

Don't discount that, it's not an easy trick!  :-)

However, to my continuing sadness, although radios still work, ALL antique TVs have been rendered mute by the recent switch to digital.  Yes, you can hook them up to a VCR that transmits a channel 3 signal, or you can connect them to a digital converter box.  But, that's just not the same as plugging in a set, adjusting the rabbit ears and getting a picture!
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

GG

And beware, because the same nincompoops who brought us "new and improved" digital TV (with built-in "digital rights management" (now they want to "manage" your rights too!)), are hard at work destroying the landline analog telephone network. 

What they want is to have all of us on VOIP, which is local-battery (so it won't work in natural disasters) and compressed like H--- (so it sounds like a cellphone), and of course it would be billed by 6-second increments upon lifting the receiver (so rotary dialing costs more).  Or they want to rip out wires altogether and have us on soulless "mobile devices" with the ergonomics of talking into candy bars and the low-fidelity audio of G.729 that's worse than solid-back transmitters but w/o the quality of the desk stands they were used in. 

Mark my words.   And resist, resist, resist: do not give in. 

Doug Rose

Quote from: GG on March 31, 2011, 05:17:26 AM

And beware, because the same nincompoops who brought us "new and improved" digital TV (with built-in "digital rights management" (now they want to "manage" your rights too!)), are hard at work destroying the landline analog telephone network. 

What they want is to have all of us on VOIP, which is local-battery (so it won't work in natural disasters) and compressed like H--- (so it sounds like a cellphone), and of course it would be billed by 6-second increments upon lifting the receiver (so rotary dialing costs more).  Or they want to rip out wires altogether and have us on soulless "mobile devices" with the ergonomics of talking into candy bars and the low-fidelity audio of G.729 that's worse than solid-back transmitters but w/o the quality of the desk stands they were used in. 

Mark my words.   And resist, resist, resist: do not give in. 

Remember when your LD phone bill was easily over $100 if you had relatives across country. Now all phone Service and LD for $29.99 on the dreaded VOIP.  Sorry....I gave in, although I do miss the Music on "talk" Christian Radio station I had on my copper line.....Doug
Kidphone

Tonyrotary

Masstel,

I agree, sad that tv went digital. But at least they made a conversion box for them.  :)

Doug,

Your right, at one time LD was expensive. Now much cheaper. I guess VOIP has its place. But at the same time LD on POTS is cheaper than it once was.