News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello from a new member

Started by Kittybell, January 15, 2009, 03:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Yes, it's very much like Gilligan's Island except we all have telephones made out of coconuts and bamboo and all the phone operators are highly trained and extremely curtious well-groomed monkeys.  Speaking for myself, that is.

Dan

Kittybell,
Welcome. If you pick up your newer black "500" model phone, you should see some markings on the bottom like 500 6-69. This is the date it was made. You can also unscrew the handset (receiver) and look inside the ear and mouthpiece and find dates. It's always nice to get a phone where all these dates are the same. There are two screws on the bottom that you ca undo to pop the housing off and see the "guts" of the phone.

I recently bought an old beige one that had the same date my wife was born.

I am not as lucky as you and don't have an older 202 like you do. These other guys will help you get her up and running , especially with ebay's help, if you shop there.

Sometimes the funnest part of this hobby for me (and a lot odf these other guys) is the HUNT, finding bargains at yard sales, flea markets, and so on.

Welcome, we need more ladies in here to spice this place up.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

McHeath;
You're the Skipper...
D/P

Hey Hobiesport "Little buddy" what you doing ? ::)

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

McHeath;
You're the Skipper...
D/P
Hey Hobiesport "Little buddy" what you doing ? ::)

I'm watching The Maltese Falcon and admiring the AE40 telephones on Sam Spades' desk at the moment.  Why?

Dan

cause you got the "bug" man, like all the rest of us...... :P
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

mienaichizu

Hi there Kittybell, Welcome and enjoy the forums

there's lots of cool people here

Dan/Panther

Quote from: metdial on January 15, 2009, 03:31:50 PM
Welcome aboard Kittybell!

The folks here are friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, and oh so generous.

For example, the esteemed member Mr. Dan/Panther would be happy to take these nice phones off your hands (you'd have to pay for the shipping/handling to his address of course).  ;D

Tom

Tom;
Thank you for the disclaimer above, it saves me having to remind everyone every time a new member arrives.

D/P

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Kittybell on January 15, 2009, 04:21:25 PM
Hi, Dan/Panther,

Yes, I am "capricious, coy, and hard to please".

That makes you certified 100% All American Female..... :o :o

D/P

Dennis Markham

Kittybell, Welcome to the forum.  That 202 is a great telephone to start your collection.  AND you know the history of it.  Having a family owned phone of that vintage is awesome.  Be careful, this telephone collecting thing can become addicting!

Again, welcome.

Dennis

winkydink

Welcome to the forum!

Winkydink

Kittybell

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 16, 2009, 12:18:42 PM
Quote from: Kittybell on January 15, 2009, 04:21:25 PM
Hi, Dan/Panther,

Yes, I am "capricious, coy, and hard to please".

That makes you certified 100% All American Female..... :o :o

D/P

You betcha!

Dennis, I love having the family history of the phones...somehow it makes it a bit more fun. I've been looking at some of the pictures and I am amazed that you guys take them apart and look inside! I don't think I have the courage for that. Plus I'm not "electrically-minded" at all!

Dan, I'm putting in the picture of the bottom of the phone. The only number I see is 78257. I don't see a 500 anywhere. Do you see anything?

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone!

"Read it back to you! Are you insane?"

Dan

Comeon, Kitty, you have to investigate! I think your phone is pretty new. Those two screws on the bottom are easy to unscrew. You won't hurt anything. You could at least  unscrew the endcaps. The ear piece pops out and is held in by two wires. It will have a date. The ear part has a piece that comes out completely. it will have a date too. At least you will have a date this way.

benhutcherson

Look at the white sticker up above the number you posted.

Right under the blue AT&T logo, there's a line which reads "R 500 DM".

Dan/Panther

My guess in the '72 to '74 range.
D/P

bingster

Not wanting to be outdone, I'm guessing 1980-84. :P
= DARRIN =