News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Printable dial cards

Started by winkydink, January 16, 2009, 11:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

My dial card was generated with free software.
DraftSight for drawing the circles placing numbers etc.
Snagit to easy convert the drawing to JPG
IrfaView for adding text the blue text, making negatives tuning background etc.
Maybe a little complex, but effective progress.

The worst is to get a good old paper background, the best result is printing on old paper, next scanning old paper, printing background, and printing again on that.

Actually it is quite fun now, when I know more about how to do it, and get the results much faster.

dsk

dsk

This is only for fun but here are a new sheet.
I believe I came close to original.
You may have to scale the printing size.
dsk

dsk

Will this one look as original for GTE dials with adhesive stickers?  Font type as text under the fonts.

dsk

GG

That looks very well done.  Thing is, there were very many different dial number labels used on AE dials with the plastic fingerwheels, both the version with the solid center and card-stock number labels inserted from the rear, and the AE 80-E version with the adhesive number labels stuck on the front.  So anything you come up with is bound to be within reasonable range of something that was actually used by one or another operating company at one or another time. 

IMHO the difficult issues are a) finding printer-friendly-sized pages of self-adhesive circles of the correct size, and then b) lining up the design you've created so it prints properly on all the labels on a page.  If you can solve for both of those, the rest is easy. 

Greg G.

Seems to me I've seen that DejaVu dial card somewhere before...
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

:D Thank you!
Just trying to make whats made before.
Should the telephone look original, or nice  ???.
I like those black dialcards with white areas to fill in better, but  what's the right.
Quite fun to make dialcards too.

dsk

dsk

More dial cards:
I just found, and scanned this.
The background millimeter paper should secure the format.

Can someone please tell me something about "Public Service Central Telephone System" ?

dsk

twocvbloke

I just make my own dial labels in Macromedia Flash, they're not 100% accurate, but close enough for me... :)

Examples of my WE500 & GPO700 series labels:

dsk

twocvbloke

Thanks... ;D

A previous Ivory GPO746 I had I did this dial label for (though it was an older version, so the "100" and "999" are not in-line) with intentions of using it for Skype, but never did (and yes, that's my skype name, but I'm never online!!! :D ), said phone was given away to someone for helping with moving house... :)

dsk

Since I got a Kellogg Redbar / 1000 I needed a new dial card. I could not find any for printing out, so this is my suggestion.  It should be printed out with a with of 1-5/8" or 4.3 centimeters.

dsk

dsk

Yes, no one on the net is directly printable, but a little brush-up, and it looks OK. Side by side with the original, you will probably see the difference.  I just made it circular, because its more job to make the uneven edge. Its important to cut out the field in the5-7 area for locking, unlocking the card holder.
A plastic window will need similar cutout. The orienting of the label is a little more tricky when the small cutouts not there, but nothing compaired to the job with the scissors.

dsk

PS It could be as a negative too.

PPS with cutouts.

Sargeguy

Quote from: d_s_k on February 10, 2012, 07:45:49 AM
More dial cards:

Can someone please tell me something about "Public Service Central Telephone System" ?

dsk

The Central Telephone Company was an Independent operating in Virginia.  "Public Service" was their motto.  They also used WE phones.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dsk

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 09, 2012, 03:39:18 AM
Quote from: d_s_k on February 10, 2012, 07:45:49 AM
More dial cards:

dsk

The Central Telephone Company was an Independent operating in Virginia.  "Public Service" was their motto.  They also used WE phones.

Thank you.

dsk

dsk

We should probably make a library for labels and signs, I have some here. Not organized, but feel free to use and copy.

dsk

http://tinyurl.com/6nnk3j8 (dead link 10-5-21)