News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Appropriate dial card for AE 80e?

Started by Greg G., August 19, 2011, 02:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

What would be the period-correct dial card for this phone?  Since the finger wheel is held on by a screw, it would have to be a sticker of some sort.  I have some AE stickers, but I don't think they're for 70s-era phones.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

I have asked similar question earlier, and it seems like it has been many versions, but quite simple design on those models.

dsk

dsk

I wouldn't be that serious, and could have used this on a light colored phone as yours.

I hated mine, struggling with several mechanical issues, and I thought it was ugly, now really like it because of the possibilities of changing the look by changing the front plate etc.

dsk

PS look here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=search2  and
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1411.msg61459#msg61459

rdelius

The GTE one is the best for that set.You had a paper number card and sometimes a clear overlay for protection

Robby

AE_Collector

The card that Brinyt initially posted is for 1930/1940 era AE phones. Then the one from d_s_k that has the same pattern but larger and with white background was on AE sets in the late 50's and 60's.

By the 80E era (1975 - 1988) operating companies typically had their own number card stickers with their logo on them. So the last GTE one is probably the best choice.

As Robby says, clear round adhesive backed stickers were available to put over the stick number card to prevent doodling on them etc.

Terry

dsk

They are easy to make. just print it out on a good quality paper with an ordinary printer.
Glue with glue stick (makes it possible to remove)
eventually transparent film or tape on top (not necessary)

dsk

jsowers

The cards I remember here on 80Es were very plain, since we were not part of GTE. Just area code and phone number. They were shiny on the outside, as some have mentioned, and self-adhesive. I think they were printed on Tyvek. You could see the strands in the paper. Anyone remember Tyvek? It was rip-proof and used for the protective envelopes of 5.25" floppies.

I wish I had pictures, but I rarely run across 80Es here. I wonder if most of them broke or faded or were sent back when buying your own phone was an option.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

80E's were sold to consumers in stores though once owning your own phone became possible. AECo tried to compete with the onslaught of "disposable phones" by making theri own disposable phones but like most North American manufacturers of consumer items....they lost the war.

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: d_s_k on August 19, 2011, 03:28:33 PM
I wouldn't be that serious, and could have used this on a light colored phone as yours.

I hated mine, struggling with several mechanical issues, and I thought it was ugly, now really like it because of the possibilities of changing the look by changing the front plate etc.

dsk

PS look here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=search2  and
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1411.msg61459#msg61459

At first I disliked these phones also, for the boxy look, plastic base and, well, being a 70s phone.  It was badly yellowed, so I used it as a "test" phone to try my hand at retrobrite.  
After spending a lot of time and effort cleaning it up and getting it white again (took 4 or 5 treatments), I kinda like it now.  The manufacture year for this one is 75, and other than the frequency ringer, it still works after 36 years.  I put a new faceplate on it I got from Paul F.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

:D
Have you decided the design of the dial card?

dsk

AE_Collector

I vote that all sellers on ebay MUST include number cards with all that info on them along with the phones that they are listing. Oh, maybe squeeze in the manufacturers OFFICIAL color of the phone as well  :)

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: d_s_k on August 21, 2011, 12:28:08 PM
:D
Have you decided the design of the dial card?

dsk

The GTE dial card seems the most appropriate, since they were in my area.
- Mike Row
e

GG

The GTE dial label would be correct for 80-E, on self-adhesive paper, and with a clear self-adhesive protector over it.

I'll admit that I tend to "cheat" about my 80-Es by replacing the dial fingerwheels with the slightly older type that uses a 4-legged "spider" and regular card-stock dial labels behind the transparent front of the fingerwheel. 

If you can't find self-adhesive paper stock that'll run through your printer, you can always do this:  get self-adhesive "Contact" plastic, that's normally used as kitchen cupboard shelf covering.  Cut out a square of it approximately the right size, peel and stick on the dial.  Smooth it down so it conforms to the shape of the center of the fingerwheel.  Use an X-Acto knife to very carefully cut around the edge just inside of the ridges on the fingerwheel.  What you end up with is a plain white circle in the center of the dial that look OK-ish for general use.  Best part is, it's easily replaceable if you have to remove it to disassemble the dial. 

IMHO, AE should have stuck with the "spider" and 1970s fingerwheel on the 80E, and also used faceplates that were painted on the backside, rather than cardboard facemats under clear faceplates.  Alternately, put the numbers/letters under the holes in the fingerwheel, like the Starlite, and use a touchtone-style number label on the faceplate.