News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone signs

Started by Signguy, November 04, 2011, 08:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Signguy

I'd like to share just a few of my telephone signs. I would love to hear from anyone that has or is interested in pre 1939 signs.

Cheers... Ell

Doug Rose

Quote from: Signguy on November 04, 2011, 08:50:31 PM
I'd like to share just a few of my telephone signs. I would love to hear from anyone that has or is interested in pre 1939 signs.

Cheers... Ell
Ell.....Absolutely beautiful!! I love old signs, but what I have certainly pales in comparison. Utterly amazing!!! How long have you been collecting them. I love the booth signs. Outstanding display. Clocks are fantastic. Tell me about the very cool colors....thanks for posting...WOW....Doug
Kidphone

Signguy

Hi Doug

I've collected signs for about 40 years. We have about 160-190 signs. With so many of our other collectables we have about run out of space to display everything. We like to keep it neat and orderly if possible.

The colored glass clocks are McKee and are from the 1930's. To our knowledge I think we have all the colors available . We love the colored glass "stuff" from the 20's and 30's. I'll include a couple more pics of a small portion of our "habit".

jsowers

Ell, your displays are first rate! I love the juxtaposition of reamers and signs and yearbooks, etc.  Something for everyone.

I never heard of anyone collecting 1950s yearbooks. My mom has some from her first years of teaching high school. Mom taught English, Typing, and Driver's Ed (in a 1955 Chevy). One of the yearbooks is red and quite a standout.

There are phones in the same colors as several of those reamers and kitchenware items. You could fit some Princess phones or Trimlines on those shelves with the reamers hanging from them.

Thanks for posting the pictures of your collections.
Jonathan

Dave F

Hi Ell,

What a great collection!  Old porcelain phone signs in god condition are expensive and elusive.  You seem to have rounded up many of the great ones.  In the sign department, I collect those from Pacific Telephone and Southern California Telephone.  I don't have very many, but here is one oddball that I haven't seen anywhere else.  This guy is hardly any larger than the width of a soda can.  If you have any info on these tiny round versions, I sure would appreciate your input.

Dave

Signguy

Dave

I have this sign with the printing reversed. (Pacific on bottom) These signs were used on telephone equipment and vechicles. I have seen pictures of these on small trucks/cars and on front face of old wooden phones in commercial locations.

Cheers.... Ell

gpo706

That's an amazing collection Signguy, worthy of a museum.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dave F

Thank you Ell.  It's great to have a sign expert in our midst.

DF

Signguy

jsowers

We collect middle 50's HS yearbooks because those were the years we were in High School. We only look for ones with very graphic covers and we have a 100 or so. Especially want ones with cars or horses on the covers.

I'm including a picture of the two old 50's High Schoolers.

Doug Rose

Ell....this is my favorite sign. Came out of the Concord Bus Station in New Hampshire. I was told these are a tough find with the copper frame still attached. My NET Pay Station is a close second. I am a phone collector, but I have 100 glass and porcelain signs. Mine are throughout my collection, link below. Your collection is wonderful....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=828.240
Kidphone

Signguy

Doug
VERY NICE.... I had a New Jersey Bell  sign copper framed  like yours  but it was so big I sold it. It came off a pharmacy. Yours is GREAT. The New England "strip" sign is a very desirable sign. I don't have one of those.

I love seeing other peoples "stuff".

Cheers..... Ell

Doug Rose

Ell...Being from Boston, I love the NET stuff. Your signs are just amazing. Use the Bell and the Booth signs....beautiful...Doug
Kidphone

Signguy