News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

This is a joke, right?

Started by TelePlay, December 02, 2011, 09:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

This eBay auction seems to be a joke but if not, what am I missing?

http://tinyurl.com/7rdc63c

With what I've seen on eBay lately, this forum could use a "Need a laugh?" section.

VINTAGE BELL SYSTEM WESTERN ELECTRIC WALL ROTARY PHONE WHITE - LETS DEAL OFFER!

Item condition:Used
Ended: Feb 26, 2012 19:46:16 PST
Price:US $179.99
Shipping: FREE Economy Shipping
Item location:Vallejo, California, United States
Seller:
g220enterprises (6404 )    | Seller's other items

Kenny C

The best part is

"good cosmetic condition"  :D ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

old_stuff_hound

He says "Make me an offer!" Ok -- how 'bout $17.99? I'm feeling generous. ;-)

GG

Seller has about 5,000 transactions with 100% positive feedback.

So I suppose that means you can offer $20 on the basis that it's an "investment-grade antique" and will be worth three times that amount in about ten years.  Right?  It's a nice 554, the Polane won't fade, and the pesky stickers can be removed carefully enough...

Y'all realize that in 20 years we're going to be kicking ourselves for not scooping up every WE 5xx set we could find, when the prices go like they did with 302s, right?  Plus or minus the current bargain prices on 302s of course. 

And I remember when they were $9.95 at Surplus Center in Lincoln Nebraska...

bakerbrett741

It's equivalent to "I'll charge whatever I feel like and if you're stupid enough to pay it I'll laugh all the way to the bank". What's unsaid is that there's an implicit understanding that a person has a right to make a profit and a living but that the profit margin should be fair and reasonable. People today have a little more savvy about things. Like we know soda costs pennies per serving at fast-food restaurants; that plastic toys cost next to nothing to be pressed out in China. Knowing this, when we pay $1 for a soda at McDonalds we don't flinch. Considering labor costs/overhead/etc this seems "reasonable".