and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Speaking of vintage Kitchens.........

Started by Bill Cahill, February 06, 2009, 07:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Caption for the bomb shelter picture:

Use the Don Pardo voice,

"And Cleveland was just vaporized by a Russian ICBM. Now back to Howdy Doody Time sponsored by Canned Water, maker of the finest canned water products trusted by moms who know canned water..."

mienaichizu

and here's a photo of my vacation house kitchen, its newly constructed  and I'm starting to collect vintage stuffs for display on it

HobieSport

Here are some more pics of 1950s kitchens that I dug up. 
Notice the 302 on the far right of the first pic and the washer/dryer on the left next to the fridge.  This was someones' idea of a model kitchen and the layout makes no sense. Working in this kitchen would be a nightmare of inefficiency and probably broke up otherwise decent marriages.
(I would surely like to see a small efficient kitchen plan by Henry Dreyfuss!)
Also, don't the colors of the kitchen in the second pic remind us of some of the colors of various WE500s in pink, yellow and aqua?  But would I want a whole kitchen in those colors?  Not! :D

HobieSport

Quote from: mienaichizu
I like your kitchen Matt, very light and natural, my kitchen is modern on our recently build vacation house

Thanks, Ramil.  Your new kitchen in the vacation home is really nice too.  Awesome stove!

I bought my trailer partly because the kitchen is so nice.  It also has this open bright living room area that I can design and build whatever I want, using more birchwood.  My plan is a big desk down the center with simple sofas on both sides with 1950s diner decor.  Also, here's a pic of the bedroom with the nice original cabinetry:

Ellen

OK, here we have my Grandma's pantry.  There is a window on the right, with a toaster on the wide sill.  On the left are 2 bread boxes, one for bread and one for cake/pie.  And that lemon meringue pie also, and donuts, and the little red-heart cinnamon candies that you can't see, and a million cut-out recipes.

Then a pic. of her GE washer, with wringer attachment.  She wheeled it over to the sink for use.  All appliances were GE in that house.  Also see the pressed-tin wall covering.  It was painted light yellow.  The chair is now upstairs in my spare room. 

Are these pix being difficult because they are "tif's"?

And then my pantry, and I moved the bread box in there for you to see but I won't fondle it.  Note Fiesta ware, glass doors, soap-saver on nail over sink.  My stove and fridge are at the front of the kitchen, and here is the sink, at the far end of the pantry, so don't talk to me about inefficiency!

TIPandRING

Here are Ellen's pictures, converted to .jpg and resized

Ellen

HobieSport

Ellen the pantry is simply amazing.  Thanks for the pics.  Some of us can only dream of the real thing and have to sort of piece things together.
I am envious in a good way. :)

Ellen

Hobie - I love my pantry despite the dangers of walking all that way with a huge pot of spaghetti.  I keep a lot of dirty dishes back there, and some mornings there have been 5 people in there, all wanting to do something, and managing somehow.  All my dishes, half the food, all the appliances and gadgets are in the pantry.  The window has a collection of plastic dinosaurs that emerge from my garden soil every spring.

Steve

I like your pantry Ellen. looks like a sturdy old house from the nice trim and the 4 over glass doors. what does the rest of the kitchen look like? and, this being a phone forum, you are going to have a pic or 2 with old phones in them :)
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Ellen

Our house was built around 1890.  It is a 2-family, side-by-side.  The downstairs is a replica of Grandma's house, which is in a different state.  Only the pantry moldings are painted the rest are - fir? and unpainted.  The varnish was put on with wavy brush strokes, not straight up-and-down.  It makes a nice, subtle difference.

The floors are 2 and 1/4 inch oak T&G, some are really beat and some I have refinished (Mr. Carpenter-husband scrapes the corners for me and I do the rest, including schlepping the big sander.  The kitchen has very cool yellow linoleum, but it was horribly faded and cracking and absorbent of our many spills and messes, so I repainted it in green and white diagonal squares, then splattered with paints the colors of tomato soup, cornmeal and dirt.  Now it has degraded for the second time, and in the spring I will strip and refinish it and that will be just stunning.  If I am still addicted here, I will post pictures.

Most of the windows are two-over-two, except on the east wall where they are vinyl double glazed.  We have no insulation to speak of, and my feet are usually cold.  We heat with a gas burner-heater built into the kitchen stove.

It's really a beautiful house, if you like stairs, and I love living in it.  But really, I want to live in a trailer like Hobie's.  With my matching cat.  And an orange recliner chair and a library card.  Nothing else.

Bill Cahill

Well, been doing more cleaning in kitchen at night.
A long ways to go, but, it's improving....
When I make enough progress, I'll show more pictures. Or, at least one.  :-\ :-[
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Ellen

The parrotlet belongs to my brother and has not met the cat.  Finding an appropriate avatar is odd.  If Mr. Monster-kitty would hold still, he might-could be it.  I think that Ace the parrotlet is male also.  I'm not.  I am a biped like the bird, but a mammal like the cat.  I am not a telephone.

So, the pix:

#1 the landing at the top of the stairs, with phone and woodwork.  Note cat scratches in handrail.  Like the light switch?

#2 my upstairs phone.  Claire gave it to me.  She is 102 now.  I hot-glued the jack together as it was breaking apart.  I wove the fabric, in a former life.

Bill Cahill

This IS my kitchen phone until I get a wall phone up.