News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What phones ring in your house

Started by liteamorn, January 10, 2012, 02:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

I have six phones ringing and one not...

1) ivory soft plastic 554 in the kitchen that can be heard ringing through the brick wall.
2) green 500 in the living room with many of its older and softer relatives on display.
3) brown Slenderet in the guest bedroom that is sometimes dragged into the bathroom.
4) white 702 Princess in the master bedroom.
5) light beige SC 554 in the garage.
6) green ITT 554 in the basement next to the back door.
7) black 302 in the basement next to the couch--hardwired to the network block and with no ringer.

I don't have all one brand installed because many of these phones were ones I picked up at yard sales and they've worked just fine over the years. The garage and basement ones get dirty and I don't want to put anything nice out there.

I did all my phone wiring, down to nailing the boxes to the wall and drilling all the holes, when the house was built in 1985 and it all still works perfectly. I have an underground phone wire running to the greenhouse out back, but it's disconnected since phones don't work well in the damp and sunny conditions of a greenhouse and I don't spend a lot of time out there.
Jonathan

Jester

My lineup includes:
1) A 592A in the garage, with a hardwired 2554 connected with disabled ringer

2) a pink 554 (5/59, mostly ABS) in the dining room

3) ash colored AT&T Noteworthy (touchtone) in the kitchen

4) Imperial in the bedroom(connected to an original 684 subset with a Ray K. Ivory cover, and a F1A Bell Chime in place of the disconnected B1A ringer)

5) A twin set of uniden cordless phones(just to keep the wife happy)
Stephen

GusHerb

My 1937 302 has been ringing exclusively in our dining room since I found it at a junk shop in January 2006. As of current there's 9 corded phones (8 being Bell system phones) scattered across our house, all but the 302 don't ring, and 6 cordless handsets scattered everywhere too (mainly for caller ID, none of those ring....yuck)
That 302 is loud enough to be heard all across our 3100 sqft multilevel house

The second line (used to be POTS as well, converted over to VoIP for cost saving) has just 3 cordless handsets connected right now, but I've been swapping Bell system phones in and out of service on that line too.
All of the wiring is new (I installed myself) except a couple of runs upstairs that are inaccessible.

My mom's business right now has a black beater WE 500 hooked up and ringing on the main line, still using the electronic ringer for line 2 though, and my grandma's house is ringing a 2554 in the family room, a 500 in the front bedroom, and a 554 in the basement (all of which are mine too)
Jonathan

rp2813

In the detached garage:  Black 1956 500, set for loudest so it can be heard anywhere in the yard.  I make it a point to pick up the handset mid-ring on that one.  ;D

In the basement:  Black 302, I think 1946.  Gongs adjusted for medium-low volume.

Main floor:  In the den I have a Black 5302 with "GF" handset configuration for F1 transmitter and HA1 receiver elements.  In the kitchen there's a cheap off-brand 80's wall phone, a Trimline knock-off with large buttons.  Looking to replace it with a WECo phone that provides better transmission quality, but at least the cheapie phone has a real ringer in it with a high-speed striker that produces a kind of old-fashioned sound.

Upstairs: Black 1950 500 on my desk, set on low volume.  In the guest room there's a 1931 D-1 set.  Since it's the guest room, I don't have the subset ringer connected on that one.

I have a chime ringer that has been connected everywhere I've lived since 1985, but it won't work on the chime setting in this house and I'm sure it has everything to do with maxing out my ringer equivalency.  I kind of like hearing the various phones' gongs anyway.

There are two cordless handsets that work off of the Panasonic answering machine, one in the master bedroom and one in the office.  I have the ringers on the handsets set to the lowest.  If I shut them off completely, it would silence the feature that announces Caller ID information, which I find convenient.  They have a pleasant enough synthesized ring, but the irritating ringer on the base in the master bedroom has been shut off. 

Ralph

bingster

I have four installed (three vintage, one modern). Imperial D1/F1/685 in the bedroom, D1/E1/684 in the living room, ivory 354 in the kitchen, and a modern telephone/answering machine combo in the kitchen, which is kept for the answering machine and for when touch-tone is needed.  The old timers ring, the modern set does not.
= DARRIN =

deedubya3800

We have five telephones on our hoam line:

1954 WE 302 in the bedroom, rarely used,
2005 CTC 500 in the living room, occasionally used,
1953 WE 354 in the hallway, the most often answered phone in the house,
1931 WE 202 (D1/E1) in my office, most often used, but no ringer, and
1951/60 WE 5302 (W/G1) in my office, rings but is never used.

The 5302 sits on a shelf with my other 5302 and my 500's, and it would be awkward to use it there, but its position makes it perfect to use it for its beautiful-sounding ringer, adding a level of authenticity when it comes to using my 202, which stays on my desk in that the ringing comes from somewhere else.

Shovelhead

WE 102 in the living room, a 302 in my den, a Trimline T/T circa 1969 in master bedroom, cordless in wife's TV room, Brother fax phone combo in kitchen, a WE 233G and a Trimline dial in the basement. All on Uverse  with pulse converters siamesed on the rotarys.

NH102.22

Currently a ca. 1968 GPO 746 F, ITT 2500 for use where DTMF is required and a 1959 PMG 401 AT made by AWA. All ring. Since my wife has been known to slam down handsets after unpleasant calls, I'm reluctant to connect my more precious specimens.