News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

TMC phone.

Started by sebbel, May 11, 2012, 09:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebbel

Hi all. I found some new goodies this month. My first 500C/D and a very cute English phone. I might need some help from the guys on the other side of the pond for that one.

Its a TMC phone I managed to get a dial tone and I can use it to receive calls and hang up. So it's a start.

However there looks to be a buzzer or mini ringer in the phone I was wondering if this is what it is and if it can be made to work.

I just love this little phone. The white stuff on it was dried glue from and old label and cleaned right off. The bakelite is near perfect and the braided cable is in pristine condition. The little pink thing attached to the cable held the original screw that bolted it to the wall. Just over all a very well kept phone. I'm quite happy with the 15$ I spent.
Seb.

twocvbloke

I haven't much info to give, just that it looks pretty good for it's age, haven't a clue what it was originally for, but appears to have the same buzzer as fitted in my Pye/TMC 1705 (also known as the GPO 704) linesman phone, which basically is the ringer, just without the bells... :)

Is there a model number on it anywhere? It might make identifying the model and wiring easier... :)

twocvbloke

sebbel

Definitely very similar. Mine has an extra button on top and no metal piece in the cradle and obviously it's black. But no doubt the same design. Given Halifax's naval history. It seems even more likely to be a ship phone.
Seb.

gpo706

Cute! Reminds me of my tiny Dictograph, a little wooden box with a handset and cradle on it.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

LarryInMichigan

This isn't a regular telephone, but an intercom.  It can probably be used a normal phone by adding a network or subset. 

Larry

sebbel

Work great as a phone as is. At least to receive calls.
Seb.

gpo706

Yeah, I can dial extensions on my Dictograph, through the Pana 616 by hook flashing it!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

Just extensions? I've done whole phone numbers on phones in the past, out of boredom mostly... :D