News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I think I'm ready for glasses after this purchase

Started by wds, July 20, 2012, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked up this gold 202, which I think is a continental phone.  Seller of course said everything was fine on the phone.  The paint on the phone is pretty beat up, but I figured if nothing else the dial makes the purchase worth while.  I didn't notice the missing center bolt on the dial - until it arrived.  It's a dummy dial.  I'm usually pretty good about picking out the fake phones and fake parts but this time I totally missed it.  Time to take a refresher course on Ebay buying - fake phone 101.
Dave

twocvbloke

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

wds

It looks real from the picture, and in person if you don't get too close.  It even looks pretty good looking at it from a side view.  The number plate is a sticker and of course it doesn't spin.  It does have the slots for a dial card and ring so I suppose it could be used for display if you don't have any real dials. 

You let your guard down for a minute on Ebay and this is what happens. 
Dave

poplar1

This is probably the dummy dial provided on decorator phones that were designed to have the phone company install the leased parts after you purchased the shell. The fake finger wheel was probably originally brass color so someone went to the trouble of masking the number plate in order to spray paint the finger wheel black...I would definitely ask for a refund or at least an adjustment since this item was "not as described."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Wasn't worth sending back, plus it's partly my fault for not noticing the tell tale signs of a fake dial.  I'm a little (but not much) smarter now.  It did have very nice leather bottom cover - other than missing a couple cork pads, it looks like new.  And I need a nice bottom cover for a WE dial candlestick, so maybe I can work a trade with someone.  
Dave

Dan/Panther

wds;
It depends on what you paid, do you mind sharing that ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

wds

Dave

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: wds on July 22, 2012, 09:12:55 AM
About $30

That doesn't sound like much of a loss.  The shell and handset are worth almost that.  I bought a D1 in rough shape mostly to get the plunger and hook switch.

If we want to discuss expensive stupid mistakes, I expect that more than a few of us could contribute to the thread, but most would probably prefer to keep the skeletons in the closet :)

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: wds on July 20, 2012, 08:51:04 PM
Picked up this gold 202, which I think is a continental phone.  Seller of course said everything was fine on the phone.  The paint on the phone is pretty beat up, but I figured if nothing else the dial makes the purchase worth while.  I didn't notice the missing center bolt on the dial - until it arrived.  It's a dummy dial.  I'm usually pretty good about picking out the fake phones and fake parts but this time I totally missed it.  Time to take a refresher course on Ebay buying - fake phone 101.
Here's a spare pair I had in a drawer... No charge!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dpaynter1066

I have a spare non-dial plate that came off a  phone I reworked, you can have it if you dont already have one handy, to replace the fake dial.

wds

Dave