News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New England Telephone sign

Started by Sargeguy, April 25, 2012, 06:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have been trying to find a decent one of these for a while now but I keep getting outbid.  This one is a little crusty and it is at full retail for this condition ($150), but I bit the bullet anyway:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150799361696

Put a pretty good dent in this month's phone budget :)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HowardPgh

Sargeguy-
That is a really good price for a sign in that condition and size.
As for the phone budget, you can always find phones, nice signs are not that easy to find.
Howard

Sargeguy

Quote from: HowardPgh on April 26, 2012, 10:49:18 AM
Sargeguy-
That is a really good price for a sign in that condition and size.
As for the phone budget, you can always find phones, nice signs are not that easy to find.

That must be why I kept getting outbid!  

I really want one from the Providence Telephone Company, if such a sign exists, that is.  If it does it would look something like this:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bill

Sargeguy -

Forget the signs! What you really want is a Polle Royal Radio, from Royal Radio Company of Providence, RI. A builder of high-quality radios in Providence in the 1920's. Like so many other manufacturers, the Depression killed them. Here'a quick pic of their top-of-the-line product. The Birds of Paradise on the front add a real touch of class. And I know where you can get one! A Google search will turn up some information, including articles from the Providence Journal, but it is pretty sparse.

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=2470

Bill

Sargeguy

I already have two Philcos I inherited, so I am all set with vintage radios for the time being, thanks anyway!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The sign arrived and it is in better condition than I expected. 

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Keep in mind that these are 18"x18" and that the 8*x8" versions on eBay are reproductions.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

K1WI

Sargeguy,
    I don't think the Providence Telephone Co was ever part of the Bell Sytem. There used to be a small "museum" of sorts on the 5th floor of 234 Washington St in Providence (Not open to the public).  If I recall correctly there were a few P.TelCo pieces in the collection and it impllied that they were bought by NE Tel. in the 1920s
  There was a small display refferencing the first use of the "Blue Bell" on signs for the lines between Boston and Providence by New England Tel & Tel !
   A web-site   belltelephonesigns.com has a lot of the history.

Andy    K1WI

PS   Nice sign
Andy F    K1WI

Sargeguy

The Providence Telephone Company definitely became a Bell affiliate, at least in 191?  as the above card shows.  I think it was absorbed by NE Tel & Tel by the time the 1920s style signs came out.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

K1WI

Sargeguy,
As I've said in the past , this forum is the greatest place for knowledge and discussion of all things telephone.  If you ever find a P.Tel.Co  sign it would have to be in the top ten of rarities !    I'm always on the lookout for interesting signs myself . now I'll have to look for a Providence one  .
  I've found two unusual signs over the years , one a Bell System square for New England Telephone and Telegaph Co of Massachusetts , a company that only owned poles in the Boston area , and another for Empire City Subway Co , a company that owns the underground cable ducts in New York. Will try and post a photo.

again thanks for the info,
  K1WI
Andy F    K1WI

Doug Rose

I can't wait to see a Picture of the NET of MASS. Talk about a toughie
Kidphone

K1WI

Doug,
   Will post a pix soon.  Up in Boston (guest of M.G.H.) for a week or two .
     Andy  (k1wi)
Andy F    K1WI

Doug Rose

Andy....You couldn't be at a better facility. I hope all is well...Good Luck....Doug
Kidphone