"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello..... (John S)

Started by John S, March 19, 2009, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Hello Everybody...

I wanted to say, how much I love reading the forum topics.  I have learned alot, just by reading the topics.  Its really cool, when I read about someone getting an old phone, from eBay, estate sale, ect.  If I have a issue with a phone, I come to the forum to find the answer.  Also Dennis has been nice to help me out with my phones question/problems.  Thumbs up to the people who make this site possible..................I attached some of my phones I have collected over the years.  :-)

Spring is here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan/Panther

John;
welcome.
You've got some nice old phones there.
Here is a photo of my W.E 317E, ALMOST, it's not completely original YET, but I'm working on it. Also my Kellog Grabaphone.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Welcome to the forum, John!  Each of those phones is a really nice example.  Who made the steel wall phone? It's got an interesting transmitter.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

John, it's good to see you making a post and showing us your telephones. You should be proud of those.  I still haven't added a stick phone to my collection and seeing yours makes me want to run out and get one.  I just wish I knew more about them so I don't spend too much for junk.  But I guess that's how we learn.

Thanks for joining in on the forum.  We look forward to hearing more about your phones.

rp2813

Welcome John.  Those are some very nice looking and interesting phones. 

Ralph
Ralph

Bill Cahill

Welcome to the forums, John. I love your collection.
DP, nice job on the top wall phone.
Haven't finnished any of my restorations yet, but, I'm enjoying using my yellow wall phone in the kitchen.
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

mienaichizu

nice collection of old phones you got there John

welcome to the forums!

BDM

Very nice collection John. Nice AE 21 desk stand.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan

John, like Dennis said, I also don't have a candle stick but wish I had. I was wondering what year yours was, do you have a bell subset with it also?

I can't hardly watch Andy Griffith anymore without getting candlestick envy!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

BDM

Quote from: Dan on March 19, 2009, 09:42:33 PM
John, like Dennis said, I also don't have a candle stick but wish I had. I was wondering what year yours was, do you have a bell subset with it also?

I have quite a few. Nice to look at, a pain in the arss to use. Your arm gets tired in a long conversation. Or you find yourself leaning over a desk. Fine in 1929, a pain in 2009.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

rp2813

Yeah, I'm with BDM on the candlestick issue.  Too much discipline required in addition to the fatigue factor.  I'm a handset kind of guy.   You can't beat the ease of use short of a speaker phone.

Ralph
Ralph

John S

Thanks for the comments guys............

D/P........Your phones looks great!!!!  That is one of my goals, is to get a oak wall phone made by western electric.  I have the story line poster, by western.  I am trying to get every phone in the poster.  I know it will take time, but that is the fun part...searching...looking...

The steel wall phone box is made by western electric.  I am not sure if all the original....but it was a steal on eBay.  I got it for 20 bucks, with shipping.  It was in rough shape when I got it.  It took a while to get it in nice shape.  Still needs a bit of work....but displays nicely.

I am not sure what year the candle stick (non dial).......I found it in a box at estate sale.  There was 2 candle stick phone in the box.  They were not put together, just laying in there.  I think the owner was trying to make them into lamps...I got the whole parts for 25 bucks......when I got home, it came out to be 2 candlesticks.  I gave one to a good friend of mine.  Its one of my favs in my collection.  I do not have a bell subset for it, but I am looking for one.   When I get some interesting phones, I will post them on here.  I would love to hear people opinions on it.  I am still learning.......

Thanks....

john

Stephen Furley

Quote from: BDM on March 20, 2009, 01:07:16 AM
Quote from: Dan on March 19, 2009, 09:42:33 PM

I have quite a few. Nice to look at, a pain in the arss to use. Your arm gets tired in a long conversation. Or you find yourself leaning over a desk. Fine in 1929, a pain in 2009.

I've never used one, but I would imagine that they could be a pain to use.  Also, if they were so great we'd probably still be using them today, and we're not, the handset replaced them long ago, there must be a reason for that.  I'd like to gat a GPO 150 some time, but they're expensive and quite rare.  The older ones without dials don't really appeal to me.

Why would things have been any different in 1929 to they are today?  If they are a pian to use now surely they would have been a pain to use then as well, r was it just that telephonecalls were more expensive in real terms then, so they tended to be shorter?

bingster

Within the Bell System (i.e., excluding the independent companies) one could make a long distance telephone call for a certain amount of money.  That call could last only three minutes, though. Any call longer than three minutes cost a fair chunk of change because there was a "per minute" charge after the first three.  So long distance calls were, normally, very brief.

There were a number of different local plans one could purchase, though.  Many people had unlimited local calling plans, and could stay on the phone for an hour or four, if they wanted (although Bell always discouraged lengthy calls).   Other plans were structured similarly to the long distance plans, and an initally free local call would begin to cost money if it went on for longer than a few minutes. 

The gist of that is that people did tend to spend far less time on the phone.  There are glaring exceptions, of course.  Everybody had a chatty aunt or mother or sister (why is it always the girls?) who spent all day talking to friends.  That must have been an excruciating exercise with a candlestick.

The Bell System sold retro candlestick phones in the 1970s and '80s, and I've always wondered how popular they really were.  I didn't know a single person who had one, but they do tend to show up on ebay quite frequently.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Hello and welcome, John.  Nice collection!

Isn't this one of those repro candlestick phones from the 1970s?:

http://tinyurl.com/cbghr7

I notice that the seller doesn't mention it, but that it also doesn't have any bids as I write this, so hopefully people know.  However, those phones, like anything, are collectible in their own right, just as long as someone doesn't try to pass them off as the real deal.  It's an inexpensive way to get a working candlestick if one just want's the look.

Also, watch out for the fakes:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=377.0

http://www.oldphoneman.com/Fakes.htm