News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS 202 E1

Started by Dan/Panther, April 08, 2009, 12:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Well, looks like I'm going to have to take out a title loan on the station wagon!!
- Tom

bingster

I think the presence of a bullet transmitter should rule out a refurb.  If the phone had been refurbed, the bullet transmitter would definitely have been replaced with a "modern" cartridge.  

It was common, upon installing a new phone, for the old one to be packed in the box the new phone was taken from.  I've seen a few phones like this on ebay--a nice used older phone in a box clearly designed for a newer one.  This box though, isn't quite like the boxes 302s came in.  It's more square, the label's on the side instead of on the end, and the cardboard insert is clearly designed for a 202. I suppose it's possible that it's an older 202 that could have been replaced by a refurbed D/F 202, with this older one pulled and placed in the D/F's box, but my gut is telling me this is new in the box as nature intended.

I'd like to see what is stamped in the space beside "ONE PER PACKAGE" at the top of the label.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Only thing that bugs me is the alloy finger wheel. Roughly, when did those become available? I seem to remember very late or early 40s. Steel or brass would have been more the norm.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

BDM;
I noticed that also, and mentioned that the spider washer was not installed.
Weren't the dialcard rings etc. packaged in a little sealed envelope and sent along with the phone. Meaning not installed ahead of time on the phone. Maybe even the technician installing the phone, had them separate from the phones, and not  packed with the phone ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 08, 2009, 06:14:25 PM

BDM;
I noticed that also, and mentioned that the spider washer was not installed.
Weren't the dialcard rings etc. packaged in a little sealed envelope and sent along with the phone. Meaning not installed ahead of time on the phone. Maybe even the technician installing the phone, had them separate from the phones, and not  packed with the phone ?
D/P

Now that you mention that, I do believe you're correct. Not sure if they were or weren't installed at the factory? But I've purchased new sealed dial card rings, and they came with spider washers.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Brian,

Like I said, I have an otherwise all original and totally untouched 5L from 1940 which has an alloy fingerwheel and spider washer. Since the number plate is pristine and matches the date on the back of the dial, I don't think it ever had enough use that it would have been necessary to replace the fingerwheel.

Thus, I believe that the alloy wheel is original to the 1940 date of the dial.

BDM

Ben, I goofed, I meant to say very late 30s, or early 40s. Not late 40s. I know they were around by the start of WWII.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Well, I was the high-bidder until the last couple seconds.  I'm a little relieved I didn't get it, actually--it would have blown my budget for the month.   Anybody here get this one?
= DARRIN =

Perry

$340??? I'm shocked that it didn't go for much more than that. Maybe if the pictures were better...

Dennis Markham

You know I had been watching that and wanted to watch it end.  I thought it would go MUCH higher.  I got wrapped up in this photo upload thing that I last looked at it with an hour to go and then forgot about it.  That really isn't a bad price at all.  I think the auction ended at a bad time.  It's nearly 2:00PM on the East coast, everyone is working (well, almost everyone).  On the West coast it's what, 10:50 in the morning...people are at work.  That may have been a factor or others just weren't convinced this was the real deal.  Or everyone's BROKE!  :)

Tonyrotary

Somebody got an awsome phone at a good price. Too bad you didn't get it bingster. Though like you said your budget would have been blown.

AET

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 14, 2009, 01:50:30 PM
Or everyone's BROKE!  :)

That's my problem! Oh and I was at work too!
- Tom