News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone directory Amarillo name search...to legally! propitiate my customs officer

Started by Haf, February 25, 2013, 06:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haf

Hi,
the customs officer always processing my mailings from abroad has ancestors who emigrated to Amarillo Texas and still relatives living there. If maybe someone here has old telephone directories from Amarillo and can check his family name will give me some merits as he's always friendly and handling things not to my disadvantage. As German Customs regulations are way complicated and you can always see it this or that way, depending on the mood :)
For e.g. it's a big difference in costom fees if something is a "just old used phone as electrical device" or an antiquity. Always some margin left without doing something illegal.

Maybe if someone here has those phone directories I will give you the name via PM.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Bill

Haf -

You might check some of the online phone directories such as Switchboard.com. If he wants his name  and number and location out there in the public domain, they will appear there. If he doesn't, then perhaps we should respect that.

It is a nice thought.

Bill

Haf

I was thinking of his ancestors, so we're talking time about 1900's- 1930's.  I didn't found anything online. I got some old phone directories myself but not Amarillo.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

LarryInMichigan

A good place to look is the US Census records.  I think that they can be accessed at ancestry.com, for a fee.  ellisisland.org can also be helpful.

Larry

Haf

Thanks for the links Larry. The thing is, as he knows I collect old phones and phone directories (and pay custom fees for, that's why I know him at all), he was interested in maybe a phone number from the begin to middle of last century. As I mentioned before, he still has relatives living there so most of the family history is already known. I don't know of course if there is an entry in old Amarillo directories, as I know, not everyone has a phone those days. So if anybody here has an old Amarillo phone directory it's worth a shot, maybe there is something, maybe even an ad for a business or something and maybe absolutely nothing.
Btw. if anybody is interested in informations, the ones I have: 1944 Waco, TX, 1924 Long Beach, CA, 1930 Walla Walla, WA, 1936 Minneapolis,MN. It's not that much but just started :)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474