"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Complete AE34 Monophone in great condition

Started by AE40FAN, May 17, 2013, 06:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

AE40FAN,
              You can place this one 1st on the display shelf (when finished) and the other right beside it !!! ;D  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE40FAN on July 05, 2013, 07:57:21 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on July 05, 2013, 07:43:33 PM
AE 34s are bakelite. Stripper will melt the paint off and has protected the bakelite all these years. In 24 hours you will have a very shiny black bakelite phone. Stripper-fine stell wool-qtips for the gates- Avon SOS. When you post fabulous pictures...I told you so  ;D  This will be a beauty...Doug

You think the orange "indoor" stripper is fine?  I'm hoping for brass underneath as well will stripper work on that as well?
Brass bands are always tough to release the paint, but they will. It will be easier to take the paint off of all the bakelite. The orange stripper should work great. Tremendous find....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: AE40FAN on July 05, 2013, 08:31:13 PM
All I wanted to ask was a simple question.  Now, look at me years later very involved with phone collecting and this forum!

Yeah,we are sorry for that. No refunds or exchanges. Management is not responsible for loss of personal time and/or money. Mileage may vary....

Terry

AE40FAN

I am having difficulty removing the black factory paint off the brass.  So far I have tried paint thinner and the orange stripper.  Neither product seems to work.  Any suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Doug Rose

Let the stripper stay on them awhile to loosen the paint. Use a heavier steel wool. You can also use a wire brush attachment on a drill. I told you it would be tougher than the bakelite. let's see the progress.....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

[/quote]

Ben,

The AE40 was my very first rotary phone.  It was love at first site.  I created a quick account on here not thinking it would ever progress so I just went with "AE40Fan".  All I wanted to ask was a simple question.  Now, look at me years later very involved with phone collecting and this forum!
[/quote]

You were warned!! I told you about Phonitis and advised you to leave but you had to stick around ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Very funny Harry, thats how it works!

Ben

HarrySmith

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 10, 2013, 07:28:28 PM
Let the stripper stay on them awhile to loosen the paint. Use a heavier steel wool. You can also use a wire brush attachment on a drill. I told you it would be tougher than the bakelite. let's see the progress.....Doug
All the strippers I have ever met would not even know the difference between a drill and steel wool ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE40FAN

Bakelite has been stripped of all paint.  It was surprisingly very quick (about 15 minutes).  I'm noticing the bakelite is very dry.   Still working on stripping the brass..progress is slow.

HarrySmith

WOW! Cleaned up nice!
Appears to be in really great condition under all that paint.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE40FAN on July 13, 2013, 08:57:05 AM
Bakelite has been stripped of all paint.  It was surprisingly very quick (about 15 minutes).  I'm noticing the bakelite is very dry.   Still working on stripping the brass..progress is slow.

Avon Skin so Soft will give it a great shine....Doug
Kidphone

AE40FAN

Still needs some internal tweaking but, for now it is displayable.  These really are beautiful phones!

WesternElectricBen

Wow! That turned out just beautifully, makes me want to walk up and use it..

Ben