News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 Bell Won't Ring

Started by kratzbfk, June 24, 2013, 01:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kratzbfk

I have a WE 500 Rotary phone 425B network and a C4A Ringer.  The bell won't ring.  I have tried the move the bell black wire from the G terminal to the L1 terminal.  Then the bell will ring on a incoming call.  However, then I can't break the dial tone on an outgoing call.  Any Help?

WesternElectricBen

Could you post a picture, I'm not always the best to help but for other peoples reference.

Ben

kratzbfk

I don't know how to post pictures.

kratzbfk

Maybe I do.  Here is another one.

WesternElectricBen

Try connecting the yellow and black wire up to the green wire. Not sure termanal... Or just look at my drawings, the circle is selecting the wires needed to be moved and the arrow is pointing where they need to be re secured.
Ben

kratzbfk

Thanks Ben. 
This is the same results as before.  The bell will ring, but I can't break the dial tone on an outgoing call.

WesternElectricBen

Oh, you can't break dial tone, thats different... I thought above you said it won't ring.

Ben

LarryInMichigan

All sorts of wires are connected to the wrong terminals.  Try following the notes below.

Larry

kratzbfk

Larry,

This is going to take a while.  I want to make sure I can get all the wires back the way they are now if that don't work.

Kratzbfk

southernphoneman

also try the wiring diagram under western electric 500 in the wiring diagram of this forum.good luck.

Dennis Markham

On the bottom of your phone does it read C/D 500?  It may be a variant of the 500 which may have a different wiring scheme, which could be why so many of your wires are not as a normal 500 would be.

kratzbfk

Dennis,

On the Bottom of the phone it says 500DM.  It also has stamped R12-71.

Kratzbfk

Dennis Markham

Then you're going to have to make some wiring changes as suggested.    Check out this thread and see if the color diagram helps you.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2767.0

The 500 DM indicates it is a Model 500 with a Dial and Modular connections.  The R12-71 indicates a Repair date of December 1971.

kratzbfk

Thanks Dennis,

Should I still try the wiring changes Larry sent me?  Do you think it is worth the trouble?

Kratzbfk

Dennis Markham

I hadn't checked his changes but I'm sure they are as the diagram depicts.  Whichever way is easier for you.  Just trace one component at a time...........Ringer, Dial, Cords.