and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 Bell Won't Ring

Started by kratzbfk, June 24, 2013, 01:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kratzbfk

Dennis & Larry,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

I can't say it enough.  I made the changes Larry said and checked the wiring diagram with them.   I can now make a call out and get a call in with the bell ringing.  Phone is working great.

Thanks again,

Bernie Kratz

kratzbfk

Larry & Dennis,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I can't say it enough.  I made the changes Larry sent and checked the wiring diagram.  I can now make a call out and receive a call with the bell ringing.  The phone works great.

Thanks again,

Kratzbfk

kratzbfk

Dennis & Larry,

I'm not sure my last post went out.  I just want to thank you guys for fixing my problem.  I made the changes Larry sent and checked the wiring  diagram and the phone works great.  I can make a call out and receive a call with the bell ringing.

Thanks again,

Kratzbfk

Dennis Markham

Your post logged just fine.  You're welcome.  One more thing....check your ringer bias spring.  Sometimes you can make it ring louder/stronger by simply moving the spring.  Look at the photo here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3151.msg42117#msg42117

poplar1

This was wired for "tip party ID" on a party line. This was done by the technician in the field--remember, you couldn't even purchase your own phones if you still had a party line!

Whenever you see 2 ringer wires connected to B (where the black handset wire goes), this indicates that the set was wired for a party line---specifically, "tip party ID" for correct billing. you can convert it back to standard wiring as follows:

Remove the Slate and Red/Slate wires from B and wire it this way:

Black ringer wire to L1
Red ringer wire to L2
Slate ringer wire to K
Red/Slate ringer wire to A
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: poplar1 on June 26, 2013, 05:29:09 PM
This was wired for "tip party ID" on a party line. This was done by the technician in the field--remember, you couldn't even purchase your own phones if you still had a party line!

Whenever you see 2 ringer wires connected to B (where the black handset wire goes), this indicates that the set was wired for a party line---specifically, "tip party ID" for correct billing. you can convert it back to standard wiring as follows:

Remove the Slate and Red/Slate wires from B and wire it this way:

Black ringer wire to L1
Red ringer wire to L2
Slate ringer wire to K
Red/Slate ringer wire to A

I was wondering how the phone come to be wired so strangely.

Larry