News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Showing off my reconditioned WE 354

Started by Robert63, July 25, 2013, 08:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert63

So this is my 1st rotary phone project. The phone housing was in fair condition (only a few bad scratches and a burn on the front), the handset wire was completely deteriorated (got a new one from Oldphoneworks), the wiring was just weird (Bill Jeffery's wiring diagram was a life saver), the hook switch plastic bit was broken off (found a replacement on e-bay), and the dial would not break dial tone (the little plastic hub was jammed). With information and help from this forum I was able to remove all scratches and even the burn from the housing, and completely recondition the inside back to almost new (I think I might have gotten carried away with that bit, but this is my first phone and I wanted it to be perfect). I want to thank every person that answered my questions and the forum itself which is an inexhaustible resource for anyone who wants to bring one of these great phone back to life. This phone now hangs in my kitchen and is without question the best phone in the house. Thanks again!!!

WesternElectricBen

That looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

I sure couldn't restore my first phone no ware as nice.

Ben

zaphod01

Great job! I wish all my babies looked that nice!
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

paul-f

Looks great!

That's one of the boldest mounting code stamps I can remember seeing.  They wanted to make sure we knew it was an M-3.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line