"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Farm Fresh B1 w/ Strange Module

Started by extremecinema, February 20, 2015, 01:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

extremecinema

G'day all.

I just got in a B1 (with an F1 handset) that I purchased on Ebay, and while the dial appears to be a converted 2HA or 2HB (now a 4H w/ plugged holes, there appears to be a strange module mounted "above" the dial marked "N 19."  (See photo)  Can anyone tell me what this is? 

Also, I would appreciate advice about unplugging the dial screw holes.

LarryInMichigan

That thing behind the dial is a filter.  There was recently a discussion here about those: forum link.

Larry

unbeldi

It looks very nice. Would you like to share a picture of the front?
What kind of dial face plate does it have?
It is wired as a 202 telephone, any indication when this was done?  I seem to see a year 50 on the cord. The cords look new.
A 4H is perfectly proper on this phone.
The filter is a 61N (upside down!).

Doug Rose

What is the date on the D1. It looks to be a bit smudged but looks like 230. If it is a 0 and not a 9 it is the earliest D1 I have ever seen. I have a 430 date on a D1 and a B1. You might have a really old D1....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 20, 2015, 03:51:10 PM
never mind   :o
Heeheehee, took you an hour to catch yourself!

(Just giving you a hard time!) ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

extremecinema

I was led to believe that only 2H dials were ever shipped with B1s.   Am I in error?

BTW,  this is clearly a converted 2H, as it has plugged holes and 5 terminals,  and patent info on the edge consistent with the 2 series  dials.

Again,  anyone can tell me how to unplug the holes?

poplar1

I think this is a converted 2A dial, and not a 2H. Notice the dial terminal with the two red wires: it was originally "W" and has been overstamped "R." The 2H dial would have already been stamped R. There was no R terminal on a 2A dial, just Y BK BB W.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

extremecinema

Quote from: poplar1 on February 20, 2015, 11:30:06 PM
I think this is a converted 2A dial, and not a 2H. Notice the dial terminal with the two red wires: it was originally "W" and has been overstamped "R." The 2H dial would have already been stamped R. There was no R terminal on a 2A dial, just Y BK BB W.

I understand your point.  Thanks for the clarification.

unbeldi

Has anyone collected statistics about #2 to #4 conversions?
Were 2H dials routinely converted to 4H ? ever?

It seems, the only reason to convert a 2H dial was when it was going to be mounted into a D-type handset mounting. Why would they convert a 2H when they had plenty of 2As coming from decommissioned candlesticks.  Seems like an unnecessary expense. The idea was to save money by reusing, not create extra work.

No great reason existed to update a 2H dial to a 4H on a A, B, or C mounting.  The 2H dial was standard on these.  It was introduced ca. 1927 for the handset telephones.
When a converted dial is found on a A, B, C mounting, it was was probably because the station was switched from manual to dial service.

extremecinema

Quote from: unbeldi on February 21, 2015, 09:09:48 AM
Has anyone collected statistics about #2 to #4 conversions?
Were 2H dials routinely converted to 4H ? ever?

It seems, the only reason to convert a 2H dial was when it was going to be mounted into a D-type handset mounting. Why would they convert a 2H when they had plenty of 2As coming from decommissioned candlesticks.  Seems like an unnecessary expense. The idea was to save money by reusing, not create extra work.

No great reason existed to update a 2H dial to a 4H on a A, B, or C mounting.  The 2H dial was standard on these.  It was introduced ca. 1927 for the handset telephones.
When a converted dial is found on a A, B, C mounting, it was was probably because the station was switched from manual to dial service.

What is a "C"  mounting?

Mr. Bones

QuoteWhat is a "C"  mounting?
An early hang up set, preceding the g-mounting. Often referred to as a space saver.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

extremecinema

So, is a B mounting with a converted 4H (instead of a 2x) considered a "legitimate" factory produced device?

Doug Rose

Please post a picture ot the B1 102...thanks....Doug
Kidphone

extremecinema

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 21, 2015, 03:53:21 PM
Please post a picture ot the B1 102...thanks....Doug

Here 'tis... It's now wired for anti-sidetone.