News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phonola Record Player

Started by Doug Rose, July 18, 2015, 01:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Jan picked this up at a yard sale the morning, it seems in really nice condition. Is is missing a part to hold the needle (pic 6) to the arm? Everything else seems to work. Any help is greatly appreciated....as always....Doug
Kidphone

OldPete

The pick-up head is laying on the turn table, with a needle in it, looks to me. It has a 'spigot' on the back that mounts
into the end of the sound arm. Hard to tell from those pics if any screws, etc., are missing. Nice unit!!

Pete

Doug Rose

Pete....there is a screw but it does not really secure it...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

OldPete

Please post a pic of the end of the arm. And maybe a closer, clearer, one of the screw in the head spigot.
I think you've got the parts there......

Pete

Doug Rose

Phil...it just does not tighten, should there be a gasket? I thought there should be a hole for the screw to mount to....thanks for all your help
Kidphone

andre_janew

Are there any dates on it?  This one has got to go back a ways.  It looks like one that you have to wind up to get it to work.  I don't think it requires batteries either!

Ktownphoneco

Although this YouTube video pertains to an obviously newer record player,  the pick-up needle, and needle diaphragm assembly seem to be very similar to this one.      When the video starts, use the "pause" button, and have a look at how the needle diaphragm assembly connects to the sound tube.
It sure looks like you have all the parts for your Phonola.     Can the screw that appears to be inside the needle diaphragm assembly be removed, and re-inserted from the outside of that assembly, in order to clamp the needle diaphragm assembly onto the sound tube ?

Jeff Lamb

YouTube Video :     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0NzrAW-JZ0

Doug Rose

Jeff....I will check it out, I do appreciate it.....Doug
Kidphone

Bill

If it is like my Victrola, the pickup head is just a push-on friction fit onto the arm. The screw is not really a screw, and does not secure it. Instead, it is a pin that pushes into an L-shaped slot in the end of the pickup arm.  Push and turn, in other words. The photo of the end of the arm is not good enough to determine if there is indeed a slot there.

If the joint seems loose when you push it together, there is probably supposed to be a felt strip lining the socket.

Bill

Doug Rose

I got to play with it today and it is definitely missing a piece as there is no push on friction. It just sits there and wobbles around and fall off.  I did stuff a piece of a plastic gasket from a garden hose and it held it securely and it did play. I'll let the next owner see what is up with it....thanks for all your help....Doug
Kidphone

Bill Cahill

Wow. That's a rare machine.
Looks like the missing parts are a ring that is used to tighten without locking the arm, and, the outside horn it uses.
You might be able to find a radio horn that is similar to use on it.
Good luck. Neat machine.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Doug Rose

Thx Bill I did sell that to a knowledgeable guy who knew how to fix it a few years ago....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug, before you do anything to the player, make sure you understand the functions. Those Reproducers can be VERY expensive. Your model is not a common one, and may not even be available.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Thanks guys....that is an old post. It was sold in 2015
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 30, 2017, 02:24:45 PM
Thanks guys....that is an old post. It was sold in 2015

I waa going to mention it was a 2 year old post!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"