News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello from Massachusetts

Started by esolomon, December 04, 2011, 04:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esolomon

I just signed up.  I have a WE 500D that I have on my computer repair bench.  I combined two phones to make this one work.  

I also have this phone from my childhood.

It has dial tone and rings when a call comes in but will not dial out.  Any help on that would be appreciated...

Doug Rose

Welcome to the Forum from a fellow resident of the Commonwealth....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Quote from: esolomon on December 04, 2011, 04:01:35 PM
It has dial tone and rings when a call comes in but will not dial out.  Any help on that would be appreciated...

Welcome.

Try reversing the line cord terminals (red and green).  Early touch tone dials were polarity sensitive.  (Search the forum for "polarity" for more info -- it's been a frequently-discussed topic.)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

Welcome! Paul is probably right, I had the same problem with an early TT dial.
Keep those 2 phones far apart! They will multiply quickly ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

esolomon

As much as I like the new caller id phones, there's something about the old hardware that just feels right...

liteamorn

Quote from: esolomon on December 04, 2011, 07:26:27 PM
As much as I like the new caller id phones, there's something about the old hardware that just feels right...
Welcome!! I keep my cordless phones hooked up for caller id and to dial through those annoying automated menu's but all of my conversations are on my classics.

GG

And I design & program "those annoying menus" for a living, as well as the rest of the stuff that makes the phones work in offices (PBX eng. here).  However I will not program menus for clients whose goal is transparently to annoy callers or make them jump through arbitrary hoops.

Anyway, my expert advice for dealing with voicemail menus is to use a phone where the keypad is on the base rather than in the handset.  Having to move the handset back & forth between "press a button" and "listen to what happened and what comes next" is highly annoying.  Best to keep the receiver on the ear whilst pressing buttons and waiting for Godot.